Upgrading further down the line.

pengipete

Rising Star
I'm wondering if PCS have ever considered offering an upgrade option where someone can pay them to fit a new motherboard and/or CPU etc to an existing PCS PC as an alternative to buying a whole new one.

Enthusiasts do such upgrades fairly regularly but not everyone is comfortable with dismantling and rebuilding themselves. People willl often have completely servicable and current-technology drives, memory, GPU etc as well as a case they are happy with and a (relatively) cheap and simple upgrade would give them a "new" PC without the full cost of a complete replacement. Even a CPU or motherboard only upgrade service might appeal to some people.

Such an option could also provide a useful source of income for PCS while money's tight and people may wait an extra year or two before replacing their PCs or - cough, spit - end up buying something cheap and nasty from a supermarket. From a PR point of view, it could keep the customer coming back year on year - they may never need to go anywhere else.

Just a random thought - feel free to ignore.

PS...

Jokes about Trigger's broom are off limits. :p

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
i like your idea, but it will be hard to set up and not to mention, they will first need to see if its cost effective, Also they need to make decisions on the effect it could have on normal buisness departments such as build test and qc.

MickyG

Enthusiast
PS...

Jokes about Trigger's broom are off limits. :p

Like: This is still the same broom I've had since I started, I've changed the handle 3 times and the brush head 6? :p

Great idea though, they could go by using the order numbers from existing customers. Maybe have a section of the sales team devoted to that bit?

G

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
This has been mentioned several times before, and we are planning to set something up sometime this year, but right now we're busy enough and don't have free resources. Once we do, we will let everyone know.

pengipete

Rising Star
Thanks PCS - I'll keep an eye out.

Ansab001 - obviously, there'd need to be a proper business plan in place. As I said, it was just an idea that popped into my head in the early hours - I'd been reading a couple of thread where people were asking about "future proof" choices of motherboard etc and it seemed like a logical extension of PCS's business.

MickyG - That's just how I imagined it - tied to the original order and maybe a nudge on anniversaries (of the order - obviously :)) or asking people to say what their main use will be to flag-up power-users, home business users etc.

On the Trigger's Broom thing... I was totally amazed to find that phrase in common use in American-based guitar forums to describe guitars - especially Fenders which have bolt-on necks - that have had a new everything over the years whilst still being regarded as a genuine original (the age of a "good" guitar can add to the value - some of them fetch tens of thousands of dollars). You'd think that only a Brit would get the reference.

I saw an example where one bloke owned a "1957" Telecaster but there wasn't a single original part on it. In fact, I've seen (supposedly) "vintage" parts sell for hundreds, even thousands of dollars on ebay - including small bits of wire and individual screws or capacitors - based on nothing more that the seller's word that he took them from an early 50's guitar. Suffice to say, there's a lot of snobbery involved and some people have more money than sense (and they're usually guitar owners rather than gigging guitarists).