Upgrading PC, looking for advice.

Lewis321

I bought my PC in 2020 with the idea I'd eventually upgrade. Last year I was planning on going for it by upgrading my GPU too a 30 series, but decided not too as I only had a 1080p monitor and chose to upgrade that first too 2K, which I've done.

Over the past month I've been browsing again and now the 7900XT has caught my eye over 40 series for a couple of reasons. Price-performance, 20GB and the physical size of the card being the main reasons. I know I could get the 7900XTX for slightly more money, but that would force me to buy a larger PSU.

Now looking at this card I know I'll need to pair it with a new CPU, and the 5800X3D looks to be a good pairing for me as my PC is strictly for gaming.

So this is the advice I'm looking for, will the current CPU cooler I have (CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM) be sufficient for the 5800X3D, and if not, what would people recommend.

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You could upgrade the CPU, but I doubt you need to. The 3800X is still a plenty fast CPU for most purposes. I doubt it would bottleneck the 7900 XT at 1440p (I presume that's what you mean by "2K"). If so, I agree that the 5800X3D would be ideal, but I honestly don't think you'll need to. If you do go for it, the H100i would be ample for cooling.

My main concern would be the PSU. The 7900 XT's minimum recommended power supply is 750W, so you're at the limit. It should be fine, but you're running closer than I would personally choose to. I doubt you'll run into problems, but it would be my one qualm with your upgrades.

Lewis321

You could upgrade the CPU, but I doubt you need to. The 3800X is still a plenty fast CPU for most purposes. I doubt it would bottleneck the 7900 XT at 1440p (I presume that's what you mean by "2K"). If so, I agree that the 5800X3D would be ideal, but I honestly don't think you'll need to. If you do go for it, the H100i would be ample for cooling.

My main concern would be the PSU. The 7900 XT's minimum recommended power supply is 750W, so you're at the limit. It should be fine, but you're running closer than I would personally choose to. I doubt you'll run into problems, but it would be my one qualm with your upgrades.
Ok thanks for the advice, if I do decide too upgrade I'll maybe try pairing the new GPU with my current CPU and see how it goes, and make the changes other changes later if needed.

And about my PSU, that did cross my mind but I put my the setup into this website and nothing flagged up over the PSU, so fingers crossed its o, and if not I'll just have to upgrade the PSU aswell.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok thanks for the advice, if I do decide too upgrade I'll maybe try pairing the new GPU with my current CPU and see how it goes, and make the changes other changes later if needed.
That's a really good and wise approach to take! Upgrade things when they need upgrading, not before.

And about my PSU, that did cross my mind but I put my the setup into this website and nothing flagged up over the PSU, so fingers crossed its o, and if not I'll just have to upgrade the PSU aswell.
As I say, it's within the recommendations and the Corsair PSU is very good, so you should be fine!