Upgrading to SSD

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Hey,

I have a Vortex II 15 inch laptop, currently with just a HDD in it, and i am thinking of taking the dvd drive out and replacing it with a SSD with just windows and my most used programs, but i would also like to be able to change use the dvd drive once in a while.

So im thinking would it be possible to have a copy of windows on my HDD and a copy on a SSD so when i put the dvd drive in i can boot into windows with my HDD and then when i take the dvd drive out and replace it with my SSD i can boot from that?

Any ideas or suggestions or am i just being stupid?

Thanks

tfcoulson

Silver Level Poster
How much do you actually use the dvd? Just asking because Im doing pretty much the same at the moment, I have an ssd and a few external hdd's, and a bluray in the laptop which I didnt want to take out, because every once in a while it gets used....just turns out not as much as I was thinking. Currently trying to make the bluray external and have the hdd and ssd permanent. So if you rarely ever use the dvd drive might be a better otption just to make it a usb external one.
Otherwise you can do it....means playing around with the bios boot sequences.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
I just commented on your post, i have been considering making my blu ray drive a usb external drive as well. I dont use it that often but its always nice to have there in case you need it. But maybe i will prefer the faster load times on with a SSD.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
well i just orderd a 120gb Intel 520 ssd for my laptop, plus i got a external optical drive enclosure, just need the HDD caddy for my laptop.