Usb 3.0 problems

Hello,

For some reason the USB 3.0 slots at the front of my machine dont seem to be working but 'older' USB slots work fine on that same hub. The 3.0 USB hubs on the back seem to work as well.

Any advice on maybe why they dont work? and how to get them to work?

Thanks guys

Christina

AND - how do I enter the BIOS screen for my ASUS motherboard? Maybe there is something on there I need to change in order to enable my usb 3.0 ports?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Normally tapping DEL (delete) on startup will take you to the bios settings,not sure if USB 3 settings will be available have a look at your motherboard manual.
Also,you could try installing/reinstalling the USB 3 drivers from the motherboard disk,failing that you could check if the front USB 3 ports are connected to a USB 3 header on the motherboard,if your not keen going into the case best give PCS a call.

Last edited:
Thanks Vanthus - I havent tried the motherboard disc yet.

I dont mind opening things up to see if they are connected - I think they must be though because the two 'normal' USB ports are on the same card, if thats the right word to use, and they work fine...

Boozad

Prolific Poster
USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case will be connected to a different host controller than the USB 3.0. What motherboard do you have?

This is the motherboard I have: ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Maybe I should look inside then and see if its connected?

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Have a look inside to see if it has not worked its way loose. Or open the case and take a good picture of the inside and we can do it for you :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
As a sidenote, I hate front USB 3.0 ports as I can never seem to get them running at USB 3.0 speeds!

Yamikotai

Expert
As a sidenote, I hate front USB 3.0 ports as I can never seem to get them running at USB 3.0 speeds!
My front ones go fine. Do you have the right settings on in the BIOS? And the USB3 controller driver for the motherboard installed? There'll be a separate driver each for the rear and front ports.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Are you running windows 8 at all, i cant seem to get USB 3 to work with windows 8 works fine on 7 though,

Thats on my laptop so could be a completely different situation.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
My front ones go fine. Do you have the right settings on in the BIOS? And the USB3 controller driver for the motherboard installed? There'll be a separate driver each for the rear and front ports.

Therein lies a little bit of the problem. I'm used to my ASUS boards having an ASMedia controller, but with the Z87 there's not one listed in Device Manager, and I'm not familiar with the Intel controllers just yet. I need to spend a bit of time reading up on it really. All of my devices are working properly with up to date drivers but I haven't checked in BIOS either yet.

Device Manager.jpg

Are you running windows 8 at all, i cant seem to get USB 3 to work with windows 8 works fine on 7 though,

Thats on my laptop so could be a completely different situation.

7, I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to put 8 on my PC.