USB doesn't appear as a boot option in BIOS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've tried all the USB ports, front and back. The issue is not with the USB stick itself, but with my old PC that doesn't have a 'boot from USB' option (see screenshots above). I expect I'll just have to get some double layer DVDs and download the ISO file onto that, then boot the old PC from the CD drive.
From what I recall, a PC will only list USB as an option if it has a bootable partition and is inserted at that time

It’s worth creating a bootable usb yourself and trying that before buying things, only takes 5 minutes.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I've tried all the USB ports, front and back. The issue is not with the USB stick itself, but with my old PC that doesn't have a 'boot from USB' option (see screenshots above). I expect I'll just have to get some double layer DVDs and download the ISO file onto that, then boot the old PC from the CD drive.
When starting a computer there are usually 2 function keys shown on the screen. One is to enter the Bios setup (F2 on mine) and the second gives a list of available boot options (F7 on mine) which should include the USB stick.
So .... plug in the USB stick and start the computer. Quickly press the required function key and select the USB as the boot option. W10 should then start to be installed.

ReggieP

I have tried the USB on my new computer (which has UEFI) and it does let me boot from it, so the USB is fine and bootable.
I've also tried having the USB in the computer I want to update when switching it on and looking for it in the boot options. No luck there either. I think I've just bought something which, understandably, assumes it won't be used on a 10 year old PC! Blank DVDs are on their way...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have tried the USB on my new computer (which has UEFI) and it does let me boot from it, so the USB is fine and bootable.
I've also tried having the USB in the computer I want to update when switching it on and looking for it in the boot options. No luck there either. I think I've just bought something which, understandably, assumes it won't be used on a 10 year old PC! Blank DVDs are on their way...
Did you recreate the usb as in the link above?

Stephen M

Author Level
My experience of USB sticks is very variable, have had new ones which could not use as install drive whereas some others are fine. It is always worth trying another.

Patriot have always done me well, wish I had kept count on Old Faithfull, got to be a minimum of 50 different iso put on it and installed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My experience of USB sticks is very variable, have had new ones which could not use as install drive whereas some others are fine. It is always worth trying another.

Patriot have always done me well, wish I had kept count on Old Faithfull, got to be a minimum of 50 different iso put on it and installed.
Man, I used to have loads of patriot usbs and SATA SSD’s as well, are they still going?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

This is what I said to you. The USB will be configured for UEFI, which your old system isn't compatible with. Needs to be setup via the link which should cover both boot options.

If that fails, DVD is the only decent option.

ReggieP

Just thought I'd update you on my progress, as I know you were all wondering ;)

Double layer DVDs arrived and I downloaded Windows 10 onto one and booted the PC up via CD. All installed using the key that came with the USB and working now. Added another 4gb of memory for the princely sum of £7.19 and then added a second 500Gb hard drive I had lying around. I now have a perfectly serviceable machine for backups, data storage and gaming.

Thanks to everyone here for all their help and suggestions! :)

Last edited: