USB High Pitch Humming on Microphone Recordings?

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
I have no idea what is causing this problem and it is really bugging me now. I currently use a Blue Yeti microphone but my C910 also makes the same noise.

I have plugged my headphones into the microphone before to monitor what it sounds like there, and there is no noise.

Some people have suggested it is a ground loop problem, I don't know :D

It must be something that's picking up in the USB Ports. I can hear a similar noise through the side of my HAF X where my hard drives are but I don't think that would be picked up by the USB Ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

- James

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if its a problem with the USB ports it shouldn't be causing the issue on all of them. Have you tried both usb3 and usb2, front and rear? Is it the same on all of them?

You sure its not a setting in the sound control panel, like mic boost or something?

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
As far as I'm aware it is a problem in all ports as I have used it in USB 2 ports on the front and back panels of the PC. I cannot use the mic in usb 3.0 ports as it just constantly disconnects and is obviously therefore incompatible.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Also there is no mic boost function on the Blue Yeti, and I am forced to lower the levels to try and stop as much noise without making me sound quiet. Isn't ideal.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmmm well a quick google around says it could be caused by the USB ports. Presumably as you have 2 mics making the same noise then its something to do with your computer or the sound settings.

have you played with the settings in the control panel? Control panel>hardware/sound>Sound? You may find windows has applied a boost to your microphone by default. I had a similar problem with a headset I was using for a while. Just select properties on your mic and select the levels tab, see if its set to give any boost at all...

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmmm the last option would be to connect via a powered USB hub. This can sometimes remove the interference. If you don't already have one it might be worth double checking the microphones on a separate PC before you buy one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This has been occurring for a while Spyder, and I have a Desktop :D

Doesn't matter how old the PC is, can happen at any time, static builds up, causes noise, failed ports, lots of issues.

1. Shutdown the PC, and disconnect all the cables from the PC including Internet/network and power cable. 2. Disconnect all the peripherals. Disconnect the mouse and the keyboard as well. 3. Press the “Power Button” on the CPU front panel for about 7 seconds, it will drain all the static electricity stored in the PC. 4. Reconnect only the mouse and the keyboard along with power cable and restart the PC.

Does sound a little like hokum, but may be worth a go.

Last edited:

Androcles

Rising Star
Have you tried setting the recording quality in your windows properties? I know a lot of people have had high pitched humming, especially with the blue yeti and the c910 and they've fixed it by doing the following ...

1. Right click on the speaker or sound icon in the task bar (bottom right hand corner of desktop screen)
2. Click sounds.
3. Click recording
4. Click "internal mic" or "external mic" whichever shows that it's active.
5. Click properties, click advanced, click drop down box and choose
"22 kilohertz AM sound quality" (for vista and xp)
OR
"2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)" (for win 7)
OR
"2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)" (for win 7)
and see which one works best for you

For windows 8 I have no idea how to get to those properties.

You can also adjust the mic boost in the levels section of those properties, it could be that windows is boosting it but the software for the mic isn't.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Can I just hold the power down at any time once the power is disconnected? It doesn't have to be right after you unplug or anything?