USB ports possibly not powered enough?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Whenever I plug my Iphone in to any of my USB ports, it starts going crazy and connecting + disconnecting in a second and then charges for a milisecond then disconnects. It sounds like there isn't enough power!

I've installed and reinstalled the drivers for the usb ports and the Iphone and it's still doing it!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah it might be that mate, i remember trying to charge a phone through an old laptop. It took about 13 hours to charge. So it might be that there isnt enough power.

OR it might be windows/ms kicking off because you have plugged an apple device in. Which is probably likely.

dogbot

Bright Spark
A laptop has to be powered down but still plugged in to the mains. Not all USB ports will charge the phone. Maybe the same for your desktop (see your manual).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A single USB 2.0 port can supply no more than 500mA and a USB 3.0 port can supply no more than 900mA. If your iPhone requires more than 500mA/900mA max charging current (check the manual) then you can't charge it from a USB port.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
The thing is it's fine in the family PC but as soon as I plug it in my PC it starts freaking out!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The thing is it's fine in the family PC but as soon as I plug it in my PC it starts freaking out!

In any port?

Does the iPhone recharge ok from your USB ports when the iPhone is switched off?

If it works on the family PC the iPhone is not trying to draw more current than the USB specs allow, it's not a Microsoft/Apple conflict, and there's nothing wrong with the charging circuits on your iPhone. So the problem is with your PC.

You might try plugging other devices that are USB rechargeable into your PC and see whether they can be recharged. Pick something with a fairly flat battery so you get a high current drain. Or plug in a device that draws significant USB power (a non-mains-powered hard disk for example).

Do the ports function normally as far as data transmission is concerned with other devices (hard disk, RAM sticks etc.)?

You might try turning wifi and Bluetooth off on your PC and try the iPhone again, it could be some sort of radio interference? It could also be some sort of device conflict with something else connected to your PC, so try disconnecting everything else to check.

I'm not 100% sure now that this is a power issue, it could be a conflict issue, or possibly something else. So if you can confirm that your USB ports can deliver power (by charging something else) you know the problem lies elsewhere. Similarly, if the iPhone charges when switched off it's almost certainly an interference or conflict issue.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
In any port?

Does the iPhone recharge ok from your USB ports when the iPhone is switched off?

If it works on the family PC the iPhone is not trying to draw more current than the USB specs allow, it's not a Microsoft/Apple conflict, and there's nothing wrong with the charging circuits on your iPhone. So the problem is with your PC.

You might try plugging other devices that are USB rechargeable into your PC and see whether they can be recharged. Pick something with a fairly flat battery so you get a high current drain. Or plug in a device that draws significant USB power (a non-mains-powered hard disk for example).

Do the ports function normally as far as data transmission is concerned with other devices (hard disk, RAM sticks etc.)?

You might try turning wifi and Bluetooth off on your PC and try the iPhone again, it could be some sort of radio interference? It could also be some sort of device conflict with something else connected to your PC, so try disconnecting everything else to check.

I'm not 100% sure now that this is a power issue, it could be a conflict issue, or possibly something else. So if you can confirm that your USB ports can deliver power (by charging something else) you know the problem lies elsewhere. Similarly, if the iPhone charges when switched off it's almost certainly an interference or conflict issue.

I have literally just wired my computer straight to the router because my wireless card keeps dropping out. I then disabled it. Came on here and saw your post and tried the phone again and it worked!! +rep for you sir!

This wirless card has been nothing but trouble.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
It's not working again, the card is disbaled but \i just fired it up and it isn't working!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's not working again, the card is disbaled but \i just fired it up and it isn't working!

Try charging the phone with it switched off. If that works it's almost certainly some sort of radio interference.

The wireless card also runs Bluetooth I think? Is Bluetooth still on? Is the phone trying to make a Bluetooth connection to the PC I wonder??

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Try charging the phone with it switched off. If that works it's almost certainly some sort of radio interference.

The wireless card also runs Bluetooth I think? Is Bluetooth still on? Is the phone trying to make a Bluetooth connection to the PC I wonder??

Just bought a self powered USB hub and it's working fine now! Must have been a power issue, that spiked now and again! However it's weird that it was working fine before after I turned off the wireless card and then it started back up again!

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
I don't care about it not charging, it's the fact that after plugging it in a usb socket to transfer data, it would constantly connect and eject instantly before I could use it. I assume this was due to it not srawing enough power for the connection and charge.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
It's fine :) I can see where the confusion is! Although for some reason it's suddenly started working without the powered hub... This machine :p

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's fine :) I can see where the confusion is! Although for some reason it's suddenly started working without the powered hub... This machine :p

That's good, but I think it's clear that something's not right somewhere. Have you tried using a different cable? It's about all that's left to check I think?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
I've tried it with four different cables and even a brand new one! What I forgot to mention is when I had it connected through the powered hub, I reinstalled the apple mobile drivers and it worked without the powered hub. However this diesn't explain why it keeps working then not!

dogbot

Bright Spark
You're not running the W8.1 preview by any chance? I know the wifi drops out every 20 min or so. Wouldn't be surprised if other things didn't work.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've tried it with four different cables and even a brand new one! What I forgot to mention is when I had it connected through the powered hub, I reinstalled the apple mobile drivers and it worked without the powered hub. However this diesn't explain why it keeps working then not!

That might be a clue there. Can you try completely uninstalling the Apple device drivers, then reboot and then reinstall them. It's possible there is some sort of conflict or remnant left behind that's causing your problem?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
That's what I did before and without the powered hub, windows kept installing it as an MTP portable device. however even before that it would just not accept the Iphone and would constantly disconnect before windows could even install any drivers, then I switched the wireless card off and it was fine, however with the wireless card off, it started up again for no reason. Then I got the powered hub and it recognized the Iphone but as an MTP device so I I re-installed the drivers with the apple ones located on my HDD and it's now working with the the normal cable.

I'm just curious why it worked for a short time with the wireless card off but then started up again even with the wireless card off? Oh well thanks for your help, it seems to be truly sorted now!