USB problem possibly caused by Egis tec ES 603 (fingerprint reader)

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hi all

Recently when booting laptop (vortex IV win 7 64 bit) randomly the usb ports seem to fail (wireless mouse fails to initiate) although i can use the track pad.
However when i try to shut down the pc it stays on "shutting down" for ages and i have to do a hard shut down with the power button to turn it off, and once when i left if running shutdown for > 10 minutes it eventually blue screened to " DRIVE_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. The problem started as occasional but is now at a lot of bootups. It's getting a pain having to reboot firstly into safe mode (as i'm offered the various safe mode options) and then finally a normal boot.

Looking in event viewer shows multiple errors but the first listed is

USB\Vid_1C7A&PID_0603.......... and references to WUDFRd failing to load for the device. Based on some googling advice i've tried ending "WUDFRd" in device manager but it reappears again immediately.

I think the culprit is the fingerprint reader (which i don't use). I've tried disabling it, but it still seems to load up as shown by usb icon in the task bar, also i can't "eject" it via said icon, tells me to close programs using it first.

I'm a bit reluctant to try to uninstall it completely as i'm a bit out of my depth and don't want to foobar things completely. Any ideas gratefully received. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
WUDFRd is the user-mode driver of the Windows Driver Foundation feature, it's a set of libraries that are called by many device drivers, not just the fingerprint reader. I did find the Google search entry that led you to suspect the fingerprint reader, but I don't think that's your problem and here's why...

The device you get the error for (USB\Vid_1C7A&PID_0603) is a strange one, the VID (vendor ID) of 0x1C7A does not appear to exist (it's not in the PCI database at http://pcidatabase.com for example) are you sure you've read that hex number correctly? The PID (device ID) of 0x0603 does exist and it refers to the PCI to CardBus Bridge that interfaces with a card reader (PCMCIA, compact flash, etc.). So I'm guessing that this is probably where your problem lies and not with the fingerprint reader.

So....do you have a card reader slot in your laptop? Since you probably do, do you have the correct driver installed for it?

You clearly have a driver issue with this laptop. Is it a Clevo chassis? If it is get the Clevo model number from the bottom and then visit the Clevo download site at http://clevo.com/clevo_down.asp?lang=en and get all the drivers for your model and OS. You could try simply installing the card reader driver first but, given your symptoms, I'd recommend a clean reinstall of Windows and all the downloaded Clevo drivers. That's what I'd do if it were mine.

Last edited:

daveeb

Enthusiast
Thanks for advice guys. I assumed wrongly that the fault was with the fingerprint reader just because of the reference to 0603 (part of the fingerprint reader name). yes it's a Clevo (Vortex IV), i'll look at getting updated drivers.

Last edited:

bulkupman

Thanks for advice guys. I assumed wrongly that the fault was with the fingerprint reader just because of the reference to 0603 (part of the fingerprint reader name). yes it's a Clevo (Vortex IV), i'll look at getting updated drivers.

I've reinstalled this laptop with multiple OS versions and i had this issue which was down to the driver supplied.

after you install driver/software go in device manager and choose update driver via windows online search. it will correct the problem. reboot, up to 2 times to get it working

the finger print software does have bugs

daveeb

Enthusiast
In the end i've disabled both the fingerprint reader and the card reader as i don't use either of them and touch wood not had any more problems.
Thanks for ideas all. :yes:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the end i've disabled both the fingerprint reader and the card reader as i don't use either of them and touch wood not had any more problems.
Thanks for ideas all. :yes:

Well, it's your laptop of course so if you're happy that's all that counts. Just be aware that this is a workaround and not a solution. :)

daveeb

Enthusiast
Well, it's your laptop of course so if you're happy that's all that counts. Just be aware that this is a workaround and not a solution. :)

You;re right of course, normally my slight ocd tendencies would compel me to get to the root of the problem and sort it out, but as everything i use on a daily basis on the laptop is working fine i decided to leave well alone. Plus i really didn't fancy re-installing windows just yet !