Using laptop as console screen

Shortie25

Hi,

I've got an Optimus IV laptop with me at university that I use for doing all of my work on (its really good by the way) and I was thinking of getting a Gamecube (that old console released in about 2004) but I don't want to have to buy a tv as this will make it quite expensive, does anyone know if I would be able to run my laptop as a screen for the Gamecube or if not how I would be able to make it compatible?

steaky360

I don't think the Optimus IV has a media 'in' port (such as HDMI/DVI/etc.) so the difficulty would be finding a way of getting the output from the gamecube into the laptop itself (Either Component or SCART if I remember correctly). I'm sure there will be some kind of component to USB type devices that would work though.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The only way I can come up with in my head revolves around buying something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC60-PS3-...ner_Video_Capture_Devices&hash=item35af8bb0c1

Now how well that would work I have no idea, but for a 'proper' capture card its going to be about the same as a TV anyway so might be worth a shot.

Now the only downside to this might be some lag between what your seeing on screen abd what your telling the controller to do. I have no idea how back that would be but it should be mostly playable if your not playing BF4 online (which you obviously wont be).

Shortie25

Its got a e-SATA slot on the side (not sure what that does tbh) and a HDMI port, also, on the back of the laptop by the charger input point there is a rectangular input slot where the top corners are wider than the bottom corners (forgot the name of that shape) and the symbol next to it kind of looks like a TV or something, does any of this mean anything that would help me at all?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
is it a display port connector? If so it still wont work. You need a HDMI in or similar.

The solution I posted might be worth a shot for such a small outlay. Cant see any other way of doing it via USB

Shortie25

Yeah, I think it might be, but I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about computers or technology, I think the HDMI is an output rather than input so that wouldnt work then and apparently the e-SATA port is for something relating to hard drives so it wont be that either. Looks like your solution might be the best option. Thanks very much for your help.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Post back/pm me and let me know how its works if you do decide to do it. Just for my own interest.