Valeon 17'3 has only DisplayPort 1.2?

RomKol

Hi, please find the question and spec below:

It's mentioned that it only has DisplayPort 1.2 over USB-C, but I've an even older version Defiance from 2019 and it has a mini DP (presumable 1.4 as it supports my Samsung Odyssey G7, 1440p at 240hz just fine), but also it lists USB-C DP 1.3 even... So how come newest Valeon 17'3 have only 1.2 DP listed? Is this even possible?

USB1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Port (Type C), 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Port, 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports
Display1 x HDMI, 1 x DP 1.2 via USB-C

Chassis & Display
Valeon Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 5900HX (3.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 - 16.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Valeon Series Integrated 62WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
VALEON 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT USA KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
US International/USA - US English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I assume that’s an error, pretty much any display port is 1.4 these days as a minimum especially when over usb c.

I would contact PCS to be certain but I’m pretty sure that’s a misprint.

RomKol

I assume that’s an error, pretty much any display port is 1.4 these days as a minimum especially when over usb c.

I would contact PCS to be certain but I’m pretty sure that’s a misprint.
My thoughts exactly, I've already called and they should email me shortly after discussing with the engineers, we will see.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
My Valeon works happily at 3440x1440 @100 Hz with my 35" Acer Predator Z35p .... it even uses G-Sync over that connection . I`d assume atleast version 1.4

RomKol

My Valeon works happily at 3440x1440 @100 Hz with my 35" Acer Predator Z35p .... it even uses G-Sync over that connection . I`d assume atleast version 1.4
Well actually 3440x1440x @ 100 Hz is the limit of DP 1.2, so that doesn't say much unfortunately. I still haven't gotten any response from PCS, but the order is to be shipped soon.

RomKol

No reply from PCS over email formally at all, over call before they just said DP 1.2. I've called Eluktronics and emailed Infinity Gaming to pose the same question (they both buy the same TongFang barebones). Eluktronics on-call support tech quickly confirmed it's DP 1.4 as they have been getting some calls about it already. Infinity said DP 1.2 as well. Well I had no choice but to test myself... one cable that I've tested was uni-directional and somehow the ALT mode wasn't support so it wasn't working at all, but then I've got a Cable Matters cable and it worked perfectly to confirm the laptop indeed has DP 1.4.

Overall pretty poor job by PCS, I get that on-call techs are just reading KB/docs on the product and have to give you that answer back, but damn if the answer sounds ridiculous (like DP 1.2) maybe bring it up with the build team for testing? Does the end-customer has to manually test everything for the vendor? No comments lol

Here's the link to the cable if someone ever needs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matt...splayPort+Cable+8K+60Hz&qid=1621249067&sr=8-3

Anders89

I also just bought the Valeon 17.3 model similar to you, so just to confirm your saying the listed 1.2 DP is wrong and after testing you can confirm it is indeed 1.4? :)