Valeon Extremely Slow - Potentially Not Leaving Office Mode

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Recently my Valeon laptop has been performing extremely slowly and I can't work out why. This is general performance, browsing website and general use, but its obviously most obvious when I start a game. The frame rate is almost a slide-show (for games that have performed wonderfully in the past). For example God of War hovers around 5fps. Very weirdly though, the Laptop remains completely silent!

Running performance monitor shows nothing weird or worrying.

I formatted and reinstalled windows 10 and updated all my drivers to the latest but the problem persists.

What is weird is I hear little to no fan noise! This is what would happen if I stick it in Office mode with the physical switch. If I press the switch the text comes on the screen that it changes to Gaming Mode and then Turbo mode (and the light next to the button chances) but nothing happens in terms of hearing the fans whir (which is what would usually happen) and there are no changes in game/computer performance.

This is true if I set the Laptop to dGPU or MSHybrid

Could anyone help me troubleshoot? Is there some way I can test to see if it is actually switching profiles besides the text and light? What could cause this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Recently my Valeon laptop has been performing extremely slowly and I can't work out why. This is general performance, browsing website and general use, but its obviously most obvious when I start a game. The frame rate is almost a slide-show (for games that have performed wonderfully in the past). For example God of War hovers around 5fps. Very weirdly though, the Laptop remains completely silent!

Running performance monitor shows nothing weird or worrying.

I formatted and reinstalled windows 10 and updated all my drivers to the latest but the problem persists.

What is weird is I hear little to no fan noise! This is what would happen if I stick it in Office mode with the physical switch. If I press the switch the text comes on the screen that it changes to Gaming Mode and then Turbo mode (and the light next to the button chances) but nothing happens in terms of hearing the fans whir (which is what would usually happen) and there are no changes in game/computer performance.

This is true if I set the Laptop to dGPU or MSHybrid

Could anyone help me troubleshoot? Is there some way I can test to see if it is actually switching profiles besides the text and light? What could cause this?
Hiya

So have you installed control center?

Have you ever updated to windows 11?

It does sound like it not activating the dGPU as you say if the fans aren't kicking in.

Can you install HWMonitor and check for any power or thermal limits when running something like heaven benchmark?

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your help Spider.

Here are the results
Results.jpg

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Oh sorry forgot to answer the Qs

Yes control centre is installed and no never updated to Win11.

Laptop is fairly silent running benchmark in ultra right now. But it is hovering at 6fps

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
For a little more info, if I click the fan boost in control center I do get my very loud fan noise and it changes keyboard colours when I ask it to etc so it seems to be working ok.

Can't for the life of me figure out what is going on!

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh sorry forgot to answer the Qs

Yes control centre is installed and no never updated to Win11.

Laptop is fairly silent running benchmark in ultra right now. But it is hovering at 6fps
And where did you surve control centre?

Can you post a screenshot of your device manager page?

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
After reading through the thread and coming up with a few ideas:
  • Looking at your benchmarking temperatures, it doesn't look like your laptop is using the NVIDIA GPU. I'd imagine the temperatures would be in the 70-80c range if it was being benchmarked/stress tested. You'd either have to configure the programs to use your GPU using the NVIDIA control panel (as shown in SpyderTracks' screenshot)
  • There's a possibility the Control Centre software may require an update or a re-install? The low FPS could (as you pointed out) be a result of being stuck in one of the quieter modes. When in e.g. Office mode, the system will throttle the performance in order to stay as quiet as possible.
  • Does the Control Centre software install automatically when re-installing windows? In a last effort to test it yourself, it might be worth seeing if you can run a benchmark test without the software and instead using windows performance changes instead (high performance on the battery slider etc.)

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
1666624256818.png

Changed the NVIDIA setting (image to confirm).
No difference :(

Note that it does say its using my nvidia gpu not the integrated one, assuming it can be trusted.
1666624363896.png

I also uninstalled and reinstalled control center but no difference.

Next I will try and just uninstall the control center and see how it runs without installed.

Last edited:

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
No dice - no control center installed, still 5fps, still pretty silent, still says its used the RTX.

Trying not to pull my hair out

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Agh! Will contacted tech support then. Second time sending it back while needing it for work. This is no fun!

Thanks for helping though, it's appreciated!
Hang on, hang on, sorry, I meant to post this earlier and got sidetracked.

The only outlier which I forgot about until now is that in the HWMonitor windows in post 3, it's actually showing a temperature limit even at idle on the GPU, but "global temperature" of the GPU is the only reading that's high at 73c.

But my guess is a temperature limit is preventing it from ramping up.

When was the last time you serviced it?

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Hmmm, I haven't serviced it as I have had it less than year (around 9 months). It did go back to PCS a couple of months ago because the power port wasn't functioning but besides that I haven't done much. What would you suggest?

I am just looking at HWMonitor again but it is no longer shown (I think because I switched back to dGPU mode?) so I only see the Geforce card. Temps around 45 while idle.

Obviously I still have the same issue. Do you still think it could be that? Laptop feels mostly cool to the touch.

Edit: I guess this also doesn't explain why the fan wouldn't kicking in lots.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am just looking at HWMonitor again but it is no longer shown (I think because I switched back to dGPU mode?) so I only see the Geforce card. Temps around 45 while idle.
It may point to the CPU overheating and requiring a repaste.

Do another test but with Prime95 and obviously display the CPU temps in HWmonitor.