Valve’s Steam Deck: New Handheld Console!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
Not sure how I feel about that button placement!

Great idea, not sure how well it's going to go but one to pick up in a few years time for me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
LLT has done a reaction vid of the teardown of the steam deck

I have to say complete hats off to Valve for their approach to replacement parts and upgrades.

This is why I tend to favour Valve, starting out with their approach to the mod community in the Half Life Series, Gary's Mod, I mean they really supported modders in a way that has carried through with the community today.

And this approach to repairability and upgradeability of something that is arguably far more complex and "close system" compared to a phone or even tablet, I think is really commendable.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just some reviews of early working samples. No software reviews yet as valve haven't finished it and certain parts of the physical hardware are still being worked on but there are a range of game benchmarks even poor performing ones, transparency is important here.

But yet another example where Valve have the consumer in mind for repairs and custom mods. We salute you Valve!

If you didn't realise, you don't have to actually have a 3d printer to get 3d printed parts. There are loads of national and even local services that will 3d print individual pieces for you, you just provide them with the drawings which valve have done the measurements a basic design for you, it's just a case of adding your own customisation. There are loads of open source free CAD editors online.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's officially released as of today.

Couple of reviews:

TLDR, software needs maturing but obviously that's completely addressable. Backed up by excellent hardware in general, so updates can address the OS and game compatibility.