Valve Hardware Survey January 2023

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd suggest
  1. Legacy
  2. Laptops
  3. Limited budget
Note that the most popular GPU is the 1650, which also fits all three of those requirements,

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don’t even know what resolution my CGA monitor supported, but it was only 16 colours 😏

Not gaming related, but I hated the few years (late 90s/early 00s) where we were forced to transition from excellent, large screen, high resolution, 32-bit Iiyama, Viewsonic, Radius flat-screen (in vertical dimension only) CRT monitors to really crap 14-18 inch first gen LCD monitors with really poor colours and viewing angles despite the completely flat screen (think 256 colours and 5° viewing angle). Really made working on small details painful as we were forever zooming in and out to align design elements, rather than having our full-size 2-page display.

Took many years to get back to similarly high-resolution, high-bit, large displays…and I think my eyes suffered for that.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My Amstrad 464 specs:
  • Mode 0 - 160×200, 16 colours
  • Mode 1 - 320×200, 4 colours
  • Mode 2 - 640x200, 2 colours
Mode 0 for games!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It was the CPC464 that I had, but only because I worked at an electronics shop (Lasky’s), and the Commodore 64 I’d originally bought for gaming was forever breaking (keyboard and cassette issues).

That was swapped out for 6128 some time later, before I moved onto consoles for a long time…and only went back to Windows PC gaming in 2020. Of course, I did a fair bit of gaming on the Mac as I had it to hand as my work computer.

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
Pfft.. first computer games i played were on a zx spectrum.. and that when i could be bothered to wait the 10-15 mins just for the game to load from the tape cassette.. luckily i upgraded to an NES when that appeared on the market 😂

still have that zx spectrum as well.. it's just buried somewhere in my parents attic

CMP01

Enthusiast
Thing about 1080p is it still does alright in some conditions.

I got a gaming laptop with a 15.6" 1440p 165Hz screen a couple of months ago. Tbh while I would notice if it had been a 1080p screen (and would probably have been higher refresh) it wouldn't have been the worst. My previous gaming laptop was 1080p 120Hz and 17.3" which imo is about where a higher res might start counting more. The newer laptop, having a 3070ti (closer to a desktop 3060ti?) would've run much better with 1080p though, or at least had longer legs as I generally go 3-5 years between upgrades. I wouldn't have been put off by a higher refresh FHD screen anyway (though a lack of MUX would've done it) It's kind of like the difference between DLSS/FSR or not a few implementations of RT in games; most ppl only really notice any meaningful difference from screenshots as opposed to during actual gameplay.

I see a lot of quibbling on Steam Deck forums about it's shortcomings and expectations for it's successor. One of the main ones is the screen, 'shoulda been 1080p at least' etc. Truth is 800p at 7 inches is easily as fine as 1080p at 15-17" outside of the other reasons why it's 'bad' (text at 7" is too small, screen isn't OLED etc) My last mobile phone apparently had some ratio of QHD 6" screen. Nice. My newer one has some FHD ratio at 6". Honestly, I can't tell the difference but maybe I don't have the uses that might show it up.

Not that higher res isn't worth it. I wouldn't lower my 3440x1440 144Hz 34" (run with a 6800XT) desktop res for anything, and would probably stay with it even through a GPU upgrade but that's more my love of 21:9 and the lack (as yet) of any higher 21:9 standard. Before that it was 2560x1080 144Hz 34" with a 1070, which at 3 or so feet distance (gaming from a lazyboy rules) was about the same experience as the above 1080p laptop at half of it.