Vertex III questions

boru05

Hey folks,

I'm strongly considering a Vertex III build but I have a couple of questions:

1) Why can't you select 16GB RAM with the i7-2670QM processor?

2) I want to choose an SSD (120GB Kingston Hyper-X) and a normal HDD (Scorpio Black 750GB) in place of the optical drive. However, I have access to a genuine copy of Windows 7 Pro already (yet to be downloaded). If I order the laptop with no Windows preinstalled, how would I put my copy on with no optical drive installed? Also if I go down this road, does sorting out the drivers become a huge headache or can the drivers be installed without Windows?

Please excuse what might be stupid questions!

Any help would be appreciated!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It tells you why you can't choose 16GB of RAM in the warning that pops up. "Only Core i7-27** Quad Core processors and above correctly support 16GB of RAM" As your processor is 2670qm it is not supported. Obviously that is a bit of a pain in the ass having to spend an extra £100 on a CPU so you can have the extra RAM but it's all that you can do if you need that muhc RAM.

Now about the OS, i have never done it myself but i believe you can do it a few diferent ways. You say you will be downloading windoews 7, is that correct? If so i presume you were intend8ing burning it to a DVD and installing via a DVD drive. You can still burn it to a DVD and use an external USB DVD drive if you wanted to. You could also use a USB memory stick, but it depends what the motherboard supports as to which method will work, i'm sure if you asked PCS how they do it you would save yourself any bother and get it right first time.

Just search google for installing windows 7 with no optical drive and their are many guides.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Probably a motherboard limitation in that case, no harm in giving PCS a call and i'm sure they can tell you exactly why, but something to do with the motherboard is my geuss.