very old XP machine

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
hi, I have recently bought a 3D printer, but my everyday PC is in another room.
I want to drive my 3D printer locally, but at present have to keep removing the micro SD card, creating the file and exporting it to the card, and then walking between rooms.
I have a very old Advent PC in a cupboard, in the same room as the printer. I would like to set this up to connect directly, but it has XP on it, and in it's current state wont even connect to the internet, as XP is so out of date.
I only need an internet connection and for this I have a hub, and updated windows to do what I need, but I am reluctant to just format/get rid of XP, as I don't know how to get Windows 10 on the PC. Also I am not sure if I format the C: drive, if this will knock out screen, sound, keyboard drivers ect.
Can someone advise the best way forward. I only want to use the PC for the 3D printer.

Appreciate any help
Regards
Chris

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What inputs does the 3D printer have? Can it be network attached? That would be the easiest way.

You can use the XP box as a print server on your local network, but do not EVER allow it to become connected to the Internet.