Vibrating in PC under load

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
When I play games that use over about 50% of my gpu (970) after about 10 minutes of under load my PC case starts to vibrate. I tried taking the side panels off to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I have a fractal arc midi r2. Anyone know what could be vibrating? thx

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It will be a fan of some sort. if you think its tied to the GPU being a bit saggy then check that its screwed into the back plate properly, should be 2 screws holding it into the metal at the back of the computer. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be the cause though.

I suspect a fan is running with a bad bearing or catching on something. have a look inside to see if you can see any wires rubbing on a fan, if not, see if you can locate which fan the noise is coming from. Is it constant or worse under load? I have some sort of resonance that vibrates inside my pc between 45 and 52% GPU fan speed.

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
I cant see the message that I just posted so if you see another one just ignore this. I have the PC leaning at about 10-15 degrees towards the motherboard side and that stops the vibrating. Maybe by leaning it I'm moving some wires and it stops hitting something. Or when the gpu is under load it vibrates a bit and makes something else vibrate in the process. It starts to vibrate about 5-10mins after the PC has been around 60% and above load. I have the PC leaning atm and the vibrating has completely stopped. I've had it like this since yesterday and nothing is wrong yet.

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
If when I tab out I can hear the vibrating spin down does that mean it could be the graphics card making the vibrations? as the gpu fan spins down the vibration spins down? I think it has something to do with the gpu seeing as I have 3 case fans, coolermaster 212 evo cpu cooler and the gpu fan. thats it. I have already checked the case fans to see if anything is in the way and there isn't and there is nothing in the way of the cpu fan, and its only when I play demanding games and when the gpu fan needs to be used a lot. I think the gpu is causing vibrations which is making something else vibrate. I only started having this problem around 3-4 days ago and the 2 months before it was fine. I checked the gpu and there were some cables touching it and I moved them, but still the problem has been happening. I have no idea what it could be other than the gpu. I have made sure the screws are tight in the backplate for the gpu.

edit: I think my whole PC is quiet but the graphics card. I am a bit disappointed that there was only a reference card put in my PC and that you couldn't choose an msi, asus etc... for more money but quieter gpu. Idle acoustics are ok but when you start gaming it gets a bit noisy.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
How about manually adjusting the fan speed with msi afterburner or something then you can create a custom fan profile around it to avoid any of the vibrations, it may just happen at a specific fan speed like mine. So you can just make the fan ramp up from say 45% to 58% and avoid the resonance.

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Maybe but I might just keep it leaning seeing as its fine so far. Also I don't wanna take apart a £250 gpu and lose that money if anything goes wrong lol