Vibrating noise from case fan and RMA question

SlickShoes

My front case fan makes a really annoying vibrating noise, i have taken it out and put it back in but it still happens, everything is tight and secure, is my only real option to just upgrade to a better fan than these basic ones that come in these computers?

Also was wondering for an RMA do you have to send the computer back in the original box or can I use another box that I provide myself? I don't want to pay £15 to get another box from PCS.

steaky360

If you don't use the original box then you would be liable for any damage caused during transport (or rather you'd potentially have to chase up DPD/etc. for the damage) I think. Hence PCS use their own packaging.

Does the fan buzz when you take it out (obviously when switched on) ie is it teh fan or the case/mounting that is vibrating?

Also, you shouldn't have to RMA the whole thing to replace a fan :)

SlickShoes

The fan doesn't buzz on it's own so it's a combination of the fan and the case, that's why I thought that using a better fan like the AKASA silent one I installed at the back would cause less vibration with the case.

There is another problem with the computer too and a part needs exchanged but I can't take a day off work just to swap a part at the door of my house with a courier for 5 minutes so sending it back is probably the only option to get the part replaced.

steaky360

Is it a 120mm fan? Might be worth trying a fan gusset to see if that stops the vibrations?

Might be an option to get an exchange arranged for a saturday too? Its worth asking the question?

SlickShoes

i think the Saturday would cost me extra, I am going to see if I can do it at my work which would be ideal! I will move the front case fan to the top of the case tonight as I think it's just the plastic front of the case vibrating, if that is it then i'll monitor the temps and keep the fan there if it makes little difference.

steaky360

Thats a good plan! Hopefully PCS can accommodate you! Chances are the front fan is an intake fan, it might make some difference, but it depends on how many exhaust fans you have elsewhere.