video editing machine

ianrog

Hi all, I would like your opinion on these spec's for a video editing machine. I am not a pc builder but after looking around the net for a while I am hoping this is something reasonable without being over the top.

OK here goes:

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T (3.30GHz/9MB CACHE) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M5A99X EVO:USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, Quad CrossFireX™/SLI™
Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS 450 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS 450 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
RAID
RAID 1 (MIRRORED VOLUME - 2 x same size & model HDD / SSD) (£9)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
800W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£79)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£139)
2nd Monitor
IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£139)
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
2 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£15)
Webcam
Logitech® HD Webcam C910 - 1080p HD Video & 10 Megapixel Photos (£79)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£59)

liamnic2

Super Star
OK. I dont know much about video editing but I think you have your RAM and CPU correct. If video editing is like games then I would suggest going for a better single card rather than 2 cards.

Rakk

The Awesome
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Go for the silver warranty, it's only a fiver and well worth it :), it extends the collect and return to a year.

I would suggest going for a better single card rather than 2 cards.

Agree, i'd always suggest going for one better card rather than two lower ones, for a start if you decide you need more graphcos power later you'll only need to get one more of the higher spec cards (which will obviously be cheaper by then) rather than replacing both the lower ones.

Also for a video editting machine you really want to go for the best graphics card you can.

If you can post what your rough budget is, various forums members may be able to suggest changes to your build to improve it.

ianrog

Go for the silver warranty, it's only a fiver and well worth it :), it extends the collect and return to a year.

Agree, i'd always suggest going for one better card rather than two lower ones, for a start if you decide you need more graphcos power later you'll only need to get one more of the higher spec cards (which will obviously be cheaper by then) rather than replacing both the lower ones.

Also for a video editting machine you really want to go for the best graphics card you can.

If you can post what your rough budget is, various forums members may be able to suggest changes to your build to improve it.

Thanks a lot for your input guys, I really appreciate it.

I can see what you mean about swapping to 1 good graphics card as opposed to the 2 not so good ones I have chosen. I went for 2 cards so as to be able to use up to 4 monitors (a bit excessive perhaps but I think it would work for me.)

I could quite easily swap out the LED monitors for cheaper LCD to get better graphics and I'm not sure I will need 4TB of storage as I have plenty of external HDD space.

My budget is around £1K - £1.5K (bought on credit :D)

Any other suggestions/upgrades would be great before I spend what is a HUGE amount of money for me.

Thanks again.

Ian.

Rakk

The Awesome
I can see what you mean about swapping to 1 good graphics card as opposed to the 2 not so good ones I have chosen. I went for 2 cards so as to be able to use up to 4 monitors (a bit excessive perhaps but I think it would work for me.)

Ok, if you want to use 4 monitors, then you would need either 2 NVidia cards or one AMD card with Eyefinity 4.
I'd be tempted to go with an AMD card (with Eyefinity 4) cos then you could get one decent card rather than 2 crappier NVidia cards (even though I normally much prefer NVidia).