Video editing on laptop

Freeman3030

Hi all,

I have a small Youtube channel that I create content for. I've hit a bit of a wall recently as I'm currently using a desktop which is tucked in a corner of the room and I really don't want to sit in the corner to video edit. I'd like to be able to move to the dining table, edit whilst travelling etc. I have been looking at the Dell XPS 15 to replace my desktop PC (currently running a Ryzen 3 1600) However I am concerned that the overall size is a little large and quite like the idea of having a 13" laptop as well as being a little cheaper.

What I wondered though, is what is more important for video editing, CPU or GPU?

I wondered, if I bought a 13" XPS, could I get an external GPU to help power things along when editing at home and hope that without the eGPU travelling, I could lightly edit videos.

Not really sure which was to turn with it all.

I'm currently editing using DaVinci resolve, but I hardly use any of the feature and am considering changing to a more basic video editor.

Any suggestions welcome.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all,

I have a small Youtube channel that I create content for. I've hit a bit of a wall recently as I'm currently using a desktop which is tucked in a corner of the room and I really don't want to sit in the corner to video edit. I'd like to be able to move to the dining table, edit whilst travelling etc. I have been looking at the Dell XPS 15 to replace my desktop PC (currently running a Ryzen 3 1600) However I am concerned that the overall size is a little large and quite like the idea of having a 13" laptop as well as being a little cheaper.

What I wondered though, is what is more important for video editing, CPU or GPU?

I wondered, if I bought a 13" XPS, could I get an external GPU to help power things along when editing at home and hope that without the eGPU travelling, I could lightly edit videos.

Not really sure which was to turn with it all.

I'm currently editing using DaVinci resolve, but I hardly use any of the feature and am considering changing to a more basic video editor.

Any suggestions welcome.
We can’t comment on other brands I’m afraid, these forums are just for PCS systems, you may want to try an open forum like toms hardware