Viper with with a matte screen and the 2 x 2GB 580 gfx cards?

chrmcc

I've been looking around for a day or two and narrowed my choice on he Show off your spec page.

Everything I'm after comes in around the 2K mark :eek: , whatever different specs I choose. So accepting that... If I could get the viper with with a matte screen and 2 x 2GB 580 gfx cards I think that would be my choice. Is it possible to order something like this even if its not on the configurator?

ta

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I don't know, but i would say if its not in the configurator then no.

I would think the reason for not offering 2 x 580's would be heat or space related, no idea on the screen but if they had it you can be sure it would be offered.

That said i think the viper is fairly new so they might just be waiting on stock. The quickest way to find out would be to call them, that way you gte an answer one way or the other.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the Viper III does not have the option of 2 x GTX 580M cards and there are no plans that I know of to produce this model.

Matte screens are not available at present but in the next few months we hope to get stock.

chrmcc

thanks for the info. In that case which would you buy with your own hard earned?
£2176
Vortex II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-2960XM (2.70GHz) 8MB
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
2.0GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M - DirectX® 11

OR

£2154
Viper III: 18.4" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-2960XM (2.70GHz) 8MB
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
2 x 1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (SLI)

Or for around the 2 grand mark is there something else coming in the next few months I should be holding out for.
This is going to be a one off purchase so I'll be wanting to keep it for a few years!

NMEBowen

Master Poster
i belive the sli`d 560m has more power than the single 580m but you may want to look into power consumption as i guess the 560`s will drain the power much faster than the 580m when mobile.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh it will drain much quicker (i imagine the viper has some sort of power saver mode) but it also has a better battery as well, so it could go either way

chrmcc

hmmmm I just dont know what to do. spend the 2 grand on one of these show stoppers or settle for a lappie that i can play BF, COD, the latest Total War and the like on med to high settings for under a grand. option 1 a one off treat, option 2 still a treat but can be replaced in 3 or 4 years with less of a hit. argh:) it's a nice dilema to have to make i know. just never spent that kind of cash on a lappie before.

truegrace

Enthusiast
I have been split between either buying a monster of a lappie or one that will just do as well. The viper looks awesome, and 2 560 cards surely would handle anything on ultra, but is it worth the extra grand? The kid in me would od already bought one, where as the father, husband and homeowner is what is along me think 1k is a lot to spend :p

chrmcc

truegrace
that's exectly where i'm coming from. im an it contrctor meaning i can put it through my ltd company which makes it a bit easier to swollow but it's still a lot of money. what would be your sensible option?

truegrace

Enthusiast
Probably something similar to this, comes in @ £786, yes it wont be running the latest games on ultra settings, but that said I presonally tend to not notice quite how good games look as long as the gameplay is gripping.

The desktop I have used for the last few years has never been able to play games on high settings, but dont think I have had any less enjoyment from playing them (not counting my first PC while playing starwars galaxies it took me half hour to get out of tatooine due to lag :p)

There is something shiney and just WOW about the viper though, makes me wanna part with my hard earned pennies :p

Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)

4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card

nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk

320GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD3200BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

Thermal Paste

ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

chrmcc

If I could squeeze the 560m gfx card into that i'd probably be sold on a decent gamer at a decent price. i'm more of a strategy gamer. the fancy gfx are reserved for ps3 and xbox 360.
I might ust bite the bullet nd go for the viper 3. Just wondering if it won't be replaced any time soon.

truegrace

Enthusiast
I went from being a constant pc mmo gamer (neverwinter nights, galaxies, guildwars, city of heroes, back to guildwars then wow) until my son was born to more of a casual gamer on the 360 or ps3. With the release of old republic shortly me wants to mmo it up again, but just don't get the time to go up on the desktop to new lappie is in order. The missus is happy enough as she gets the computer desk out the bedroom, and tested the water saying it would cost me about £1400 so just a short leap up to a decent spec viper.
Just gotta wait til after Xmas now for my bonus from work.

Will be interested to see some pics and reviews once a few more vipers have been purchased :)