virtual reality headsets

MJSWARLORD

Silver Level Poster
i would like to try a vr headset. i know absolutely nothing about them so , are they plug and play without driver software , if anyone reads this has one which one do you have.

what games can you recommend either free or paid for , the only one i have at the moment with a vr option is crystal rift.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
well you aren't going to be playing many VR games without a headset.

Alternatively there is a piece of software that can make your PC think your phone is a Vive/Rift called VRidge from RiftCat. They offer a free trial so that would be your best way to try some games without breaking the bank.

I can't really recommend any PC games though, but I hope to try a racing sim, which I think is one of the best uses for VR.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Current VR headsets are around £700 for the kit. You can't do anything without the headset. I've got the HTC Vive which is generally considered the best, the other mainstream one being the Oculus Rift which I would never buy just down to the creators work ethics and facebook's acquisition and deterioration of the product.

Good games I'd recommend would be Eve: valkyrie, Redout Enhanced and Project Cars, like Wozza says, the racing sims are a whole new level.

Another one I find good fun is The Golf Club VR if you like golf.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Another one I find good fun is The Golf Club VR if you like golf.

I always considered golf to be a great way to ruin a nice walk in the country. Now with VR you can ruin a nice walk in the country without actually walking. And that's progress?
:whistling:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sadly 100 Foot Robot Golf doesn't have VR (yet). That, sir, would be progress.

ss_b057a6e93a86b6356d8f6d9e1efc940f87a33bb6_1920x1080.jpg
http://store.steampowered.com/app/368000/100ft_Robot_Golf/

@MJS - this video (and accompanying article) might be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DJdkDms7Y0 mentions a few games and talks about a few performance considerations with VR.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
hi ubyusa it looks like your a mark twain fan.

No, not really. :)

I fully appreciate the huge potential and benefits of VR but if we use it to avoid actually getting out and doing stuff (like actually playing golf) then I think it's a step backwards. We're in danger of creating a race of people who order food online, communicate online, and get their fun online and who never leave their home.

I'm not a Luddite, and I'd hope that those who try games like VR golf (or even VR sailing if such a thing exists) and who find they like it, actually goes out and experiences the real thing. Life experiences are better gained in the real world than a virtual one. For me, VR would be best reserved for those experiences that you can't have in the real world or which would be extremely dangerous in the real world. Golf is only dangerous if you fail to duck in time....

:)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No, not really. :)

I fully appreciate the huge potential and benefits of VR but if we use it to avoid actually getting out and doing stuff (like actually playing golf) then I think it's a step backwards. We're in danger of creating a race of people who order food online, communicate online, and get their fun online and who never leave their home.

I'm not a Luddite, and I'd hope that those who try games like VR golf (or even VR sailing if such a thing exists) and who find they like it, actually goes out and experiences the real thing. Life experiences are better gained in the real world than a virtual one. For me, VR would be best reserved for those experiences that you can't have in the real world or which would be extremely dangerous in the real world. Golf is only dangerous if you fail to duck in time....

:)

The great thing about the golf game is that it simulates some of the best courses in the world which I'll never get to play, there is some value to it outside of the real thing ;)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The great thing about the golf game is that it simulates some of the best courses in the world which I'll never get to play, there is some value to it outside of the real thing ;)

How can you be so sure you'll never get to play them? Positive mental attitude. :)