Vortex 111 or Vortex 111 Extreme

lunarchamp

More help please, i've been checking specs on utube of the GTX680M against 7970M in crossfire, it seems that 7970s come up with up to a third more FPS than a single 680M.
It seems a lot as the 680M is the better card. Has anybody got any thoughts on this. If it's right for the sake of about £100 i'd go for Vortex 111 Extreme.
If it's not i'll stay with a Vortex 111 with the GTX680M.
Thanks.

rickne

Master Poster
Nvidia has physx and 3d vision. Their biggest selling points. The ATI cards get alot hotter than the 680s too.

lunarchamp

That was quick.
I realised that after i posted, Railworks utilises Physx, and that what i was using the laptop for mainly, so i'm thinking maybe going with the GTX680M and save a few £s.
Getting closer to what i want.
Thanks for replying

lunarchamp

I suppose i could get 2 680M's, but i do'nt think it's worth the extra £380 for one game.
I wanted to know if it was worth the extra £100 to upgrade from 1 680 to 2 7970s would i get a better performance.
Do'nt want to go over top spending, i've got a bit carried away already.
Thanks for replying

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Hi i checked out railworks gaming specs and 1 680m will be more than powerfull enough to max that out! i play shogun 2 on max settings getting about 50fps and that is a very demanding game. Plus the extreme will be bigger heavier and hotter than the vortex so not so mobile imo.

lunarchamp

Thanks Lappygamer, considering comments so far i'll stay with the 680, will have to wait to order one, no 680s in stock till October.
Size does'nt matter as i'm retired and it's only for home use.
Thanks for replying

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
yeah as tom said if it is just for home use (staying in one place) then a desktop is the way to go much more power for your money!!!

i agree wid ninjax and it is totally a waste going for gtx 680m as dual 7970m gives way more performance for almost the same price as a single gtx680m.And moreover it can run 3d softwares like maya,etc at respectable fps just check out notebookcheck.net

brukin

Silver Level Poster
i agree wid ninjax and it is totally a waste going for gtx 680m as dual 7970m gives way more performance for almost the same price as a single gtx680m.And moreover it can run 3d softwares like maya,etc at respectable fps just check out notebookcheck.net

If I was ordering now I'd be seriously considering Vortex III extreme especially as it won't suffer the Enduro issues newer Clevo units have with a single 7970M and Enduro graphics switching. Since I was after a more portable size (15.6") I'm happy enough with the GTX680M.

lunarchamp

I have a desktop but it's in the other room and my wife does'nt like me going off for hours on end, says she feels as though she's living on her own, she does'nt want it in the living room, so it's got to be a better laptop.
The 680 is'nt available till October, and as i'm going away for a few weeks there is'nt any rush to order one yet.
The 7970s sound ok but do'nt use Physx and Railworks does, do'nt know exactly what it does.
I like the look of the Extreme but two 680s is to much, i have Nvidia in my present lappy and the graphics are really good, not sure about AMD.
Will have to have a good think about the advice thats come up in the different threads.
Thanks again for everyones help.

brukin

Silver Level Poster
I have a desktop but it's in the other room and my wife does'nt like me going off for hours on end, says she feels as though she's living on her own, she does'nt want it in the living room, so it's got to be a better laptop.

Women huh! (assuming you aren't a Lesbian). Mines is exactly the same. She can be watching Dallas, no conversation or interaction with me at all but "If you go away to the other room it's like I'm by myself. Nice to have you here for the company". *sigh*

rickne

Master Poster
In my Alienware I have had to replace the GPUs under warranty twice due to overheating. Make sure you get those cooling pads. Those babies are scorching!

lunarchamp

I know what you mean Brukin, with me it's Emmerdale and Corrie, does my head in, have to sit there with my headphones on, bliss.
Rickne, Alienware was what i was looking till i found PCS, i've been looking at cooling pads, might be a good idea.
Asked for some advice, they came back with, i7 3610, GTX 680M, 240 SSD, so it looks like thats for me, i thought the i7 3820 would have been better but was told 3610 was the way to go. I thought 2.7GHz was more powerful than 2.3GHz.
Going to order it before i go away, hopefully it should be there the week after.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

lunarchamp

Mine's sat in front of me in the chair, i'm on the settee at the back of the room, still not good enough, she can't see me, i do'nt know why i'm nothing special to look at.
Just checked she's asleep now.

HonestFlames

Bronze Level Poster
Honestly, had the option of the Vortex 3 Extreme been available a few weeks ago when I placed my order for the standard Vortex 3, I would still have ordered the standard Vortex 3.

I told myself I would buy the best performing gaming laptop. The single 680m is extremely quick and has 4GB of VRAM. That's just incredible. The SLI 680m card in the Extreme splits 2GB per card. I know performance will be greater, but you really do pay quite a premium for very little real-world benefit.