Vortex 111 or Vortex 111 Extreme

lunarchamp

Thanks for the fedback HonestFlames.
Just been reading reviews, and for the money against performance the 3610 and 680 are the better option, so thats what i'm going for.
Thanks to everyone who posted. I've saved about £400 on my original option, sorry PCS.

Ninjax

Bronze Level Poster
I think its a very exciting time ,
notebook check http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970M-Crossfire.74305.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M.72679.0.html
bf3 7970m xfire = 67 / 680m = 34 / desktop 680gtx =57 http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/inno3d_geforce_gtx_660_ti_ichill_review,18.html
metro 7970m xfire = 54 / 680m = 24 / desktop 680gtx =39 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/inno3d_geforce_gtx_660_ti_ichill_review,15.html
crysis 2 7970m xfire = 95 / 680m = 49 / desktop 680gtx =63 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/inno3d_geforce_gtx_660_ti_ichill_review,20.html

there are many games that are for and against either solution , I guess , so probably get wotever suits the games you play,
I play f1 2011 a lot, dirt , and some older games, but the fact that the xfire solution can beat the likes of 680/670 for desktop, for me is a real
move in the right direction, and hopefully will tide me over for the coming couple of years ....( the laptop has 3yr warranty lol)
I have a desktop 2600k/5870 ... so this laptop should be quite a good step up ...

One thing I do want to ask, is what resolutions do notebookcheck run on the laptop tests ? it does make a difference ...
I guess we could argue that comparing a dual vga solution vs a single desktop one is unfair , but hey , I just love that one can
go to a lan or game with friends, with a laptop that can kick any single desktop vga :) !

Last edited:

Alloid

Bronze Level Poster
If it is just for home use - I would buy and desktop PC with 1 GTX 680, and after couple of months I would add 1 more, to have GTX 680 in SLI. Notebook will not reach so big power.
But for example I know that in a 6-8 months I will move to the another country. I can always sell display, but I also will need to pay some 200-300£ just to get my pc transported to the new house and maybe after 6 months I will move one more time. I decided to go for the laptop with dual 7970m just because it will allow be to have same level of the performance, mobility, and it will save some money for me in future.
Anyway I will by an external 24" display for my laptop.
If you dont have so stupid situation like a have, better go for the PC.

Ninjax

Bronze Level Poster
well I sortta have a stupid situation , I have been carrying my pc from home to work for the past 5yrs or so ,
however since I live in zimbabwe, there are power cuts etc..., and wot I've been doing is taking my pc t work on monday,
leaving it at work the whole week, then taking it home on friday, even then, on weekends I hardly play (pc at foot of the bed, so very uncomfortable)
and spend much more time on my company macbook, surfing net, playing poker etc....., and so I only get to play games on my pc
whilst at work ( he he he , fun right) , but I've began to feel I'm not really getting my moneys worth by leaving my pc at work...
and a serious laptop will def solve that .... ( btw I have 3 x desktop pc , 2600k/5870 , 2400/5870 , core2D/5770 , )
so selling off at least one or two of these, will help, and tbh the laptop numbers seem awesome !

pls excuse the sortta hijack thread, lol

lunarchamp

Any comment and ideas about specs are welcome, thats why i asked for help, i'm not into the techy side of computers so i have taken all comments on board and even talked to PSC on the phone for their view and come up with,

Vortex 111
AUO matte Widescreen
i7 3610QM
8gig KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS
GTX680M
240gig INTEL 520 Series SSD
500gig SEAGATE MOMENTUS
plus a few extra bits.
Just hopeing it will run Railworks with everything maxed out and shadows on.

Any comment and ideas about specs are welcome, thats why i asked for help, i'm not into the techy side of computers so i have taken all comments on board and even talked to PSC on the phone for their view and come up with,

Vortex 111
AUO matte Widescreen
i7 3610QM
8gig KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS
GTX680M
240gig INTEL 520 Series SSD
500gig SEAGATE MOMENTUS
plus a few extra bits.
Just hopeing it will run Railworks with everything maxed out and shadows on.

For the time being it is ok but what about after a year?games will come which gtx 680m will not run at ultra and dual 7970m will manage to do so.So just to be future proof u shud go for dual 7970m.

lunarchamp

I'm not a big gamer i only use Railworks, so wo'nt be getting any games like BF or Warcraft and Crysis, i can't seem to get my head round them, do'nt mind watching my grandson playing though ( he has BF and BF3 on my desktop ).
I asked an engineer at PSC and was told the 3610QM and 680M was the way to go as he said "bang for bucks". I thought about Extreme with 7970s it's only £100 dearer but he said no.
Getting confused again, good thing i'm not in a hurry to make my mind up.
Thanks for your view, i'll do some more research.

ruscar

Hi there, same quandry here... I was wondering though is it possible to go for the 680M now and if in say a years time you need more power to add another 680M and upgrade to SLI 680's ?

edgez

Women huh! (assuming you aren't a Lesbian). Mines is exactly the same. She can be watching Dallas, no conversation or interaction with me at all but "If you go away to the other room it's like I'm by myself. Nice to have you here for the company". *sigh*

Same for me too! :D I'm in the same situation in buying a gaming lappy, just so the Mrs doesn't complain at me being gone hours at a time! I've tried getting here into gaming too, but to no avail :(