Vortex 2013 - Possible Upgrades?

Hiya,

I've a 2013 Vortex and it's a great machine but it's a bit sluggish and I was wondering if there's anything that can be done to update it a bit.
I mainly use to for work; excel, word, powerpoint, surfing and more recently connected to the server at work whilst working from home.
I also use it to edit RAW photo's in lightroom which is the main reason i bought the spec that i did.
It's noticeably slower than the newer PCS laptops retrieving stuff from the internet and was wondering if a newer wifi thingy or newer (DDR4) ram might help?
It also tends to puff a lot particularly on longer video conference calls.
I've used CC cleaner periodically to tidy things up and have opened it up and blown the dust out of it from time to time and cleaned off old programs I no longer use.
You might guess that I'm not very technically minded so please speak slowly and in real simple terms.
Many thanks for any guidance that you can give to help out.
Also is there a way to turn the fans down?

Chassis & DisplayVortex Series: 15.6" AUO Matte 95% Gamut Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4900MQ (2.80GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
2nd Storage DriveNONE
1st M.2 SSD Drive128GB Plextor PX-128M5M mSATA SSD (upto 540MB/sR | 320MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
External Hard DriveNONE
Memory Card ReaderInternal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Power Cable1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
BatteryVortex 15.6" Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired NetworkingGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
Wireless Router/HomePlugsNONE
USB/Thunderbolt Options3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Keyboard LanguageINTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Theres no meaningful improvements you can make to it, it’s just too dated really for the workload you require.

a reinstall of windows is always a first thing to try.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Create a bootable usb from here:

Follow this guide for installation. It's only the first part of booting the USB and then sorting out installation partitions that you'll need any help with, the actual installation is just clicking relevant selections, there's nothing to it.

The product key is embedded on the PC, so you won't need to enter one, just select "I don't have a product key" when it comes up.

Thank you so much i've just reinstalled windows and dispite the pain of loading all manner of programs back on its made everything much more responsive.

Have an ice lolly on me!!