Vortex II 15" - NVidia Optimus support

meganub

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the Vortex II with the GTX560M card. I believe this runs the Nvidia optimus switching technology, but I'll be dual booting the machine into Ubuntu for work - does the BIOS have the ability to force the Nvidia card, or will I be stuck with the Intel graphics in Linux?

Cheers!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

The Vortex II series are designed for gaming/high performance and therefore Optimus technology is not enabled - the Nvidia graphics are "always on".

Our Optimus II models are the best to consider should you wish to have the Optimus facility and they operate by a push button which is installed by drivers (not the BIOS). I cannot confirm if Linux will support these drivers as we don't test them in Linux.

meganub

Looks like I won't have a problem with the vortex, but have you seen Bumblebee (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee). Looks like a promising OS alternative to the GPU switching issue.

Welcome to our forums :)

The Vortex II series are designed for gaming/high performance and therefore Optimus technology is not enabled - the Nvidia graphics are "always on".

Our Optimus II models are the best to consider should you wish to have the Optimus facility and they operate by a push button which is installed by drivers (not the BIOS). I cannot confirm if Linux will support these drivers as we don't test them in Linux.

Thanks for that PCS. If the Vortex never uses the Intel graphics/Optimus then it sounds pretty perfect for me. I'll be using the laptop plugged in mostly, so power drain isn't an issue.