Vortex II High CPU Temp

powernerd

Hi all,

Quick questions - my Vortex II seems to be running quite hot whilst playing SWTOR (after an hour or so CPU is at 85-92 degrees). Is this within the acceptable range of the chip (it's not been overclocked or touched at all)? Alternately, if I take the back of the laptop off and give the fans a clean (if there's dust) am I in danger of invalidating my warrenty at all?

I know TOR is quite processor intensive, I just don't want to have the chips break with overheating so I'd rather be proactive about things now.

thanks
PN

lemunk

As far as im aware(this is only my opinion) you are fine to clean your fans and will not void warranty. As for the overheating my laptop hits 90c when i play swotr too wich is terrible. 1st thing i would do is as u sated clean the fans and inside, there are even tutorials on doing this without risk of damage, i did this to my previous laptop and reduced cpu and gpu temps of around 10c loss which is big for just cleaning. So you could estimate a 75-85c. this again is still pretty high so i would consider investing in a laptop stand like the one i just brought (cant rmemeber tha name) but ive seen some reviews and it helps Alot! so say another 10-15c loss, you should no be sitting around 60-70 c which in all honest aint that bad for a laptop

lemunk

heres the cooler i brought, seems to be very good but also maybe a little loud? Zalman ZM-NC2000 Ultra-Quiet Cooler, upto 20 inch (£39)

AndyL

TBH those temps are not that high for a CPU intensive game, especially if you arent using a laptop cooler or keeping your fans/vents clean. Also those temps are within the limits of the chip.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
gamebooster may slightly decrease the amount of stress put onto the CPU, also where are you playing this? lap? desk? etc

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ok, have you tried raising it a bit to allow a bigger gap under the laptop, i remember using blobs of blue tack on each corner stand bit, didnt work great but was ok for a cheap solution, if not, you could get a laptop cooler

powernerd

Took the back off when I got home, cleared a huge amount of fluff out of the CPU airvent and voila - it's running about 20 degrees cooler. Job done! Thanks all

PokerFace

Banned
Took the back off when I got home, cleared a huge amount of fluff out of the CPU airvent and voila - it's running about 20 degrees cooler. Job done! Thanks all

I did the same with my belly button, but only achieved a 3 degree reduction in temps...any idea why that was?