Vortex II - occasional mechanical 'noise' from machine

powernerd

Hi all,

Bit of a strange query, and a little hard to describe but here goes. Occasionally I'm hearing a small mechanical noise from my Vortex II (maybe every hour or so), best described as a soft 'click' type sound. It sounds a little like it's the Blu-Ray drive looking for a disk (there isn't anything in there). Has anyone come across this before? The machine is running perfectly and I've had no problems - so I'm wondering if this is just something I've not noticed before or an ominous beginning of problems to come.

Any thoughts appreciated, though as I know I can't give much detail it's going to be a hard one to answer!

thanks
M

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
This will be pretty normal, both hard drives and optical drives tend to make noise. It could be so many factors, I am afraid it is probably best to ignore! For me, my HDDs seem to run fine with Windows (NFTS filesystem I think) but they do do a lot of clicking in Linux (EXT 3) I think. So, I don't think you should have too many problems! I am just hoping my drives aren't going...!

powernerd

I have recently dual booted Mint onto the machine, so maybe that's it. I 'think' I've heard it under Windows but will have to pay extra attention. Regular backups, make sure I know where my warranty information is and ignore the sound seems like a good course of action.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Tbh, it could be anything! I really wouldn't be concerned about it, what are you HDDs?

If it is linux, the reason for it being so is probably because windows takes the best parts of the HDD where the arm has to move the least. Linux can't take this part and can easily be asigned to parts where the arm has to move/jump a lot, often causing more noise or clicks.

Last edited:

powernerd

I have a 128GB SSD (the Intel one I think - <30s Windows boots FTW!) and a 750GB data drive (I can't recall which one exactly, one of the reasonably priced 7,200 ones).