Vortex II screen issues

omens

Gold Level Poster
Vortex II: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£89)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2720QM (2.20GHz) 6MB Cache
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
CRUCIAL RAM CT2KIT102464BF160B 16 GB KIT (2 X 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ CL11

2.0GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)

500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2.5” 7mm SSD, SATA III
2TB Seagate ST2000LM015 2.5 HDD
SONY BD-5730S 6x BLURAY WRITER
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

I haven’t been here in a long time. The laptop has been great all these years. Last year it had a RAM upgrade and SSD upgrade as well as Windows 10.

Today as I sat on my laptop working, it froze, the fans kicked in, and then it rebooted with weird horizontal lines over the screen. I’ve shut off the laptop and let it cool but still present.

Any thoughts on what’s caused this?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That looks like GPU Artifacts, usually happens when a GPU overheats. It can be a sign of a dying GPU unfortunately but it can be caused by overclocks

First I would be trying to remove any overclock if any and making sure my GPU isn't overheating to see if that helps

omens

Gold Level Poster
No overclocking.
Strangely windows decided to do an automatic repair and the problem resolved so far.
I guess I’d best start looking at replacement laptops soon. Doubt the GPU would be replaceable.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
No overclocking.
Strangely windows decided to do an automatic repair and the problem resolved so far.
I guess I’d best start looking at replacement laptops soon. Doubt the GPU would be replaceable.
I'd be monitoring the temperatures pretty closely as well, it could be something as simple as needing a repaste on the GPU to fix it

omens

Gold Level Poster
I'd be monitoring the temperatures pretty closely as well, it could be something as simple as needing a repaste on the GPU to fix it
I did some logging whilst working today. Artefacts appeared and laptop shut down once GPU temp hit 60°C. Let it cool down, restarted and was fine on battery power alone - GPU temp remained 50°C and no artefacts. Plugged in the AC adaptor and started doing more intensive work (nothing special beyond web browsing) and temp went up to 55°C and artefacts started to appear. I unplugged the AC adaptor, laptop went into battery mode, temp came down to 50°C and artefacts disappeared.

I will remove/reapply thermal paste and report back. Hopefully that works. Sadly 580M GTX cards aren’t available brand new and the only used one on eBay came from a Dell which, reading around, means vbios needs flashing and driver.inf files need tweaking. Provided it’s not a dodgy card to begin with.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I did some logging whilst working today. Artefacts appeared and laptop shut down once GPU temp hit 60°C. Let it cool down, restarted and was fine on battery power alone - GPU temp remained 50°C and no artefacts. Plugged in the AC adaptor and started doing more intensive work (nothing special beyond web browsing) and temp went up to 55°C and artefacts started to appear. I unplugged the AC adaptor, laptop went into battery mode, temp came down to 50°C and artefacts disappeared.

I will remove/reapply thermal paste and report back. Hopefully that works. Sadly 580M GTX cards aren’t available brand new and the only used one on eBay came from a Dell which, reading around, means vbios needs flashing and driver.inf files need tweaking. Provided it’s not a dodgy card to begin with.
Those temperatures are really low actually especially for a laptop unfortunately that would make me lean toward dying GPU

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah heart of hearts I knew it was going to happen. I’ll need to spec up a new laptop.
Unfortunately I would concur with @Steveyg , that’s a faulty GPU, should be fine temp wise up until mid 80’s.
Workhorse of a unit though considering it’s second gen i7, that’s pretty impressive to have lasted that long. Mine is 2 years newer than yours, hope it makes it that far.

omens

Gold Level Poster
Workhorse of a unit though considering it’s second gen i7, that’s pretty impressive to have lasted that long. Mine is 2 years newer than yours, hope it makes it that far.
It’s done well although TBH it was used daily for six years and the last four it’s been more infrequent and I haven’t used it for gaming in those four years. These days I use it for lightroom processing as my most intensive work.