Vortex III 15.6 Review

jamie_H

Within this thread you will see an honest review of the Vortex III laptop which I received this morning :)

Here is the specifications of my model, which will be mainly used for university work but is also capable of playing some decent modern games:

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M - 1.5GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire & Video Editing 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Laptop Security NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE

and here are some pictures I have quickly taken on my phone:

img0153ri.jpg

img0154qw.jpg

img0155rh.jpg

img0159id.jpg

The positives:

As you may be able to tell from the pictures the Laptop arrived in perfect condition and thus far I am very pleased with it!
As soon as the laptop arrived I booted it up, installed some drivers and started getting to grips with it as it is very different from my previous laptop.
The backlit keyboard is pretty cool and the speakers are great quality and sound perfect for listening to music or gaming.
I have only had time to play Diablo 3 on it but it managed to play the game in high detail without a single hitch which is a promising sign!
The 1920:1080 resolution looks fantastic on this screen and I will look forward to watching vids/movies on it.

The Negatives:

Like with any item purchased there will always be one or two negative aspects, with this Vortex model I think one of the biggest negatives would have to be the keyboard, the style feels very 'cramped' in comparison to my other laptop and the return key is small which although is not a major drama it will still take some getting used to.
One of the biggest negatives however is that from the moment I took the laptop out I realised that the back casing was not screwed in and no screws were provided, which means that the case falls of every time I move the laptop. I'm assuming this isn't supposed to happen, and screws were meant to be provided? I will be contacting PCS after the Bank holiday regarding the issue.

My PCS experience:
About 4 weeks ago I had never even heard of PCS and at first was quite sceptical about buying an expensive laptop from them, but the numerous testimonials and the many posts on the forums etc gave me reassurance. I have found that the customer service has been nothing short of excellent, there has been no problem which could not have been resolved by a quick phone call and the chaps on the other end of the phone were always very friendly and helpful :D Perhaps the only issue I've had is getting to grips with the stock system as the i7-3610qm has been out of stock quite a few times and was consistently getting told dates that they would be available only for this to change not long after (which I am now aware could not be helped as PCS were getting messed around by their suppliers).

Despite the very few negatives I am still very happy with the purchase and will continue to get to grips with it over the coming days!
If anyone has any questions about the product feel free to leave a comment :)

frenZy

hows the battery life and fan noise when gaming mate? i'm also thinking of making this purchase!

jamie_H

Battery life seems pretty good, I haven't tested it whilst gaming though. Life is about 2 hours with just browsing the internet and looking at videos etc and I'm sure it may last longer with the battery saver options.

As far as the fan noise is concerned, the machine is extremely quiet when just doing day to day tasks. However when gaming the fans do get a bit noisy it's a bit like a constant hum, although you do get used to it and they seem to be doing the trick as I'm having absolutely no heating issues so far.

frenZy

sounds positive! looks like this indeed is going to be my choice after a long time of researching.