Vortex III 15.6"

whigfield

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£59)
Quantity

Price: £1,379.00 including VAT and delivery.

Planning on swapping the processor out to an IB one when they release, but will post pictures and such when it's here! :tt1:

whigfield

Well.. It arrived today!

14b5no2.jpg
Even the cat was excited to open it!

t83khx.jpg

971e1t.jpg

53r4si.jpg

25upb13.jpg
The power brick is a MURDER WEAPON! :eek: I'm female and my hands are pretty small, but jesus christ it's massive!

More photos coming!

Reactions: PCS

whigfield

345c7xl.jpg

ojjync.jpg

rc7pd4.jpg

oj4bwp.jpg

As you can see I've made my backlit keyboard a sexy girly pink! :D

I haven't had much of a chance to really get to grips with the laptop yet (or open up the back - will wait for my husband to get back for that.. Just incase!) but it's really nice to look at. Not too sure on the rubber finish, or the keyboard (I really prefer a chiclet style keyboard, but it's a nice trade in for the pretty backlighting!) and the speakers sound great! It's a definite beast. I've only been able to run it through World of Warcraft right now and typically it runs smoothly in ultra through Stormwind.

Regarding the fan issue that people were worrying about (I think on another forum), I haven't noticed anything that feels loud at all. Maybe this will change when I get gaming, but for now, nothing to report!

Last edited:

Kimikus

Awesome laptop, congrats I'm planning to order the 17 inch version within the next few weeks :)
By the way, I didn't know you can change the colour of the lights... I just assumed they were fixed at blue from the photos LOL. What colours can you change the lights to? :p

mev

Bronze Level Poster
Looks great but that power brick is really big, don't drop it on your toes. When did you order as your first post was only 2 days before and that sounds pretty fast ?

PS: when are you releasing a new single it's been years :rockon:

whigfield

You can change the colors of the lights to blue, light blue, green, yellow, red, white, pink and black! :D You can also have up to 3 different colors set at one time, and different animation sets too I believe.

whigfield

I did the 3 day fast track. First day was Easter Monday so no work got done of course - but it was dispatched yesterday! So complete within 2 days. :O

Finn

Enthusiast
Whats the wattage of the power supply? the specs page says 180w but some external rumours said it had gone up to 230w

Kimikus

You can change the colors of the lights to blue, light blue, green, yellow, red, white, pink and black! :D You can also have up to 3 different colors set at one time, and different animation sets too I believe.

Thank you. Thats so cool! I don't know why PCS haven't advertised this feature unless I'm blind and missed it somehow...I know it's not a big deal and it's a minor cosmetic thing but for someone like me who likes these things a lot it's a great bonus.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. Thats so cool! I don't know why PCS haven't advertised this feature unless I'm blind and missed it somehow...I know it's not a big deal and it's a minor cosmetic thing but for someone like me who likes these things a lot it's a great bonus.

It's listed under the "features" tab. Perhaps we could promote this better!

Kimikus

It's listed under the "features" tab. Perhaps we could promote this better!

Thanks, I obviously missed that bit, silly me :oops:. I wrongly assumed that it was only blue lights since every picture shown just shows that colour. I would suggest maybe writing something like 'customizable lights' next to 'backlit keyboard' in the specification snapshot?