Vortex III 15" and 17" matte screens

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase a Vortex III 15" or 17" soon with a 7970M and am curious as to which matte panels are installed into these systems. I had heard that some of the newer matte screens are of poor quality and should be avoided.

Could anyone please confirm the make and model number, and if possible hardware IDs?

Thank you

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
I would be interested to know the answer to this as well because I am planning on purchasing a Vortex III 17" today so would need an answer ASAP.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Amazing there have been 112 views with no replies. Am holding off purchasing said laptop until somebody gives a definite answer.

It is my understanding the Vortex III 17" uses the AUO B173HW01V.5 so can anyone confirm if this is a great screen?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
15.6" matte is AUO B156HW01 V.4
17.3" matte on any chassis apart from SkyFire II is AUO B173HW01 V.5

:)

Red0x

Out of interest, are those good screen models then? It's doubtful they're gonna be any worse than the bargain basement crap Acer plop in their 'high end' notebooks (which I've been using for the past 6 years or so), I'm just hopeful for a nice step-up from my previous machines (Acer Aspire 5103wlmi, 5930g, 6935g + 5935g - not an Acer fanboy honest, just limited cash!).

jacobpov

I've been with acer for a long time I kinda got used to the glossy screen honestly I think the colors / quality is not bad hopefully though the new vortex 3 matte screen will be better :p .

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Out of interest, are those good screen models then? It's doubtful they're gonna be any worse than the bargain basement crap Acer plop in their 'high end' notebooks (which I've been using for the past 6 years or so), I'm just hopeful for a nice step-up from my previous machines (Acer Aspire 5103wlmi, 5930g, 6935g + 5935g - not an Acer fanboy honest, just limited cash!).

We consider AU Optronics to be the best screens on the market, far better than the LG, Hannstar and CHi-mei screens. The 95% gamut screen is regarded by many as the best 15.6" matte screen available to purchase.

micada329

Bronze Level Poster
I have just taken delivery of the Vortex 111 17.3" with a matte screen and I really like it .

I have previously used the usual glossy screen but I have no glare at all with this matte one.

I would order it again, if I had to .

So the only difference between the Stock screen and the matte screen is that it doesn't reflect light? I thought that because it was £72 more it would be some hyper responsive speed demon etc.

Does it produce better colours or have any major factors over the stock one such as Gamut tech?

Last edited:

Daymos

Bronze Level Poster
So the only difference between the Stock screen and the matte screen is that it doesn't reflect light? I thought that because it was £72 more it would be some hyper responsive speed demon etc.

Does it produce better colours or have any major factors over the stock one such as Gamut tech?

In a nutshell but thats why we have a choice.

I have a gloss laptop and its fine but it would be nice to not have any glare to fight with when im working in various locations.

dangro474

Bright Spark

Until you have experienced the improved colour and lack of reflections it's difficult to appreciate how fantastic the Vortex III matte screens are :p