Vortex III 17.3" Ordered - So excited!

Soliloqui

Not 100% on the law Dolleeh but I'm pretty sure that would be allowed, the only problem I can foresee is that if there's no-one actually resident in the property then there'd be no-one to sign for the package (if being signed for is a necessity with PCS delivery company, not sure) and it would run the risk of being returned to the depot and then to PCS themselves if it wasn't collected on time.
But like I say, not 100% on how their system works, I'll let you know when mine arrives whether I have to sign and be present on arrival. Most people are very trusting of the posties here and usually leave the door unlocked if they're expecting a parcel so he can just pop it inside :) Otherwise he likes to put parcels through the catflap but I don't think that'll fly with a new computer :D

Aw, have I missed another tasty bit of new tech by not waiting? What's the difference between the 7970M and the 675M that I've got? Ah well, it can always be upgraded in the future!

Ub3R_aP3

Yeah, the 7970m has caught my eye!

Have you got a SSD maybe? That tends to hike it up a bit.

Or maybe just the lack of VAT. ^^

It's the lack of VAT since the ex. VAT price is exactly the same as Soliloqui's.

Aw, have I missed another tasty bit of new tech by not waiting? What's the difference between the 7970M and the 675M that I've got? Ah well, it can always be upgraded in the future!

The 7970m is almost twice the performance of a 580m (the 675m is just a 580m with a slightly higher clock)

The 7970m is based on the desktop 7870 with a lower clock rate and the 7870 is supposed to equal the desktop 580.
So with an overclock on the 7970m you'll be seeing desktop 580/7870 performance.

It's an insane card, here's a thread full of benchmarks etc:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/658185-amd-7970m-vs-gtx-680m-2.html

Soliloqui

Ooh, don't say that, I'm so tired of overheating laptops and melted graphics cards :(
Will the 675m overheat too do you think Clancy or were you just talking about the 7970m? I've really tried to put together a machine that won't overheat all the time.
The 7970 does look amazing but if the 675 will run cooler and still cope graphically with new games then I'll be very pleased.

Ub3R_aP3

You'll be fine on stock fans, they'll run loudly on games but that's about it.

Buy a laptop cooler to bring the temps down and lower the noise level.

I'm assuming Clancy was talking about the 7970m but his comment is unfounded as it runs cooler than the 6990m which was fine.

One thing we can almost guarantee is that the 680m will run hot as hell because Nvidia's high-end mobile chips always do.

Last edited:

Soliloqui

I have every laptop cooler under the sun in an attempt to prolong the life of my poor abused Acer Aspire 6530 but between poorly placed fans, cheap building materials and cats who love to snuggle up to it it just never really stood a chance. It's had a good run nonetheless, but it turns itself off with overheating every hour or so now (even when I manage to keep the cats away) and there is nothing I can do to keep the power supply cool, it's unbearably hot within seconds of the machine going on. I bought a replacement power supply but that's just as bad.
For the last 2 or 3 years I have been getting constant crashes and error messages that all seem to relate back to a graphics card problem whenever I play games and that's with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. I was hoping I'd have better luck with Nvidia!
Anybody else having/heard of any overheating issues with any of the Vortex machines?

Finn

Enthusiast
The base models that the vortexes are based on are widely regarded to have one of the best laptop cooling systems around, if anything the only complaint is they are too loud at full wack, they have seperate fans for the GPU and CPU to better cope with the heat produced. So i'd stop panicing :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I've got the HD6990M in my laptop, has playing Mass Effect 3 on Max Settings for only <achem> 6 hours strait :p last weekend and my Vortex II didn't get that hot at all, even the noise of the fans anit too loud but thats why the Vortex has decent speakers also, they go quite loud.

I checked the tempratures my GPU say it was on 90% load and was between 60 and 70 degrees.

The only problem i've had with the ATI is Skyrim Antianalising but i switched it off in game and switched it on in the ATI control system and it works like a dream

Soliloqui

Thanks Finn and Smoke! Feel better now :)
I did do my research first and found people saying good things about the cooling and pretty much everything else about the Clevo P170EM, which from what I can figure is the base chassis of the Vortex III. I'm used to loud laptops and whirring fans, just as long as it runs smoothly and stays cool then all will be well! And good to know about the speakers too, nice to have decent sound from a laptop, though my cooling system of choice at the moment has speakers built-in anyway :)

Last edited:

Ub3R_aP3

Just for the record Soliloqui, I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase.
I'm looking forward to hearing about how well it runs things (Mass Effect 3 looking at your avatar :))

Soliloqui

UPDATE:

12th working day: Just gone into testing and configuration!! Finally all the bits and pieces are in stock and it's nearly ready!

I'd love to know how long after that people have generally found it before it has been dispatched!

No problem Uber, just a ball of nerves about whether I've got it right or not! I guess I'll know soon enough :D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I got mine about 3 days after because of a weekend. I picked mine up from the depot because i couldn't wait an extra day too :)

Soliloqui

Exciting news Smoke! So I could potentially have it by the end of the week? I'm going to say early next week though to avoid getting my hopes up as I'm not on the mainland, so sadly depot collection is not an option. But still soon!
Which is great because my old one is really struggling to stay alive even long enough to check e-mails today :(

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I know all about waiting and im terible for it. I just got my Vortex II a month ago and wish i'd waited, I really wanted the display port so i could use multiple monitors and the best graphics cards now its out of date already. Mine has the HD6990m in it and its still awesome with Mass Effect 3 which im addicted to playing now on my PC stopped playing it on the Xbox because it reminded me of going back and playing goldeneye on the N64 with the graphics and the controls in comparison.

Hopefully i'll be able to upgrade the graphics card once they test the new ones with it.

Soliloqui

UPDATE:

Eeeeee! Awaiting Dispatch already!! :D

I know what you mean Smoke, think I will have to consider upgrading mine in the future but I really couldn't have waited, I've needed a new machine since January and I'm going away for a month on a course in less than 2 weeks. I'm sure this one will be perfect for everything I can throw at it for at least the next 6 months though so I'm not worried.

Benadiction

Bronze Level Poster
Nice one Soliloqui! Guessing your next post may even be from your new machine :p I just ordered a Vortex III a couple of days ago, got a 5 week wait though as I ordered the 7970m with it..... I have a few grey hairs and no doubt I'll have a damn sight more waiting for this badboy :p