Vortex III and fan noise

fishcake

Hello all

Im a Vortex III owner and am generally very happy with the laptop. The service from PCS was perfect.

Ive been reading the Vortex III threads in the "show off your laptop" section and see quite a few vortex owners saying the fans are very quiet. Mine are quiet-ish most of the time, but periodically kick in much louder regardless of what im doing. The quieter fan noise comes from the left of the laptop. The loud fan from the right. This happens even if im doing nothing complex. eg. browsing... it fact, it just kicked in as I was typing this!

It's as if the fan doesn't spin at all. Not even slowly. And then kicks in at what must be 70%+ speed when whatever its cooling gets too hot. The laptop is completely silent when you turn it on, and then the fans kick in. I'm wondering why the fans dont just spin at lower speed all the time, instead of turning themselves off and then kicking in at speed.

The long and short of it is, that I don't consider this a quiet laptop. Not even close. Its not terribly offensive. But nothing like the other owners are reporting. Now, either its normal, and the other owners have a different idea of what "quiet" means, or my laptop is not functioning correctly. How can I figure out which?

Finn

Enthusiast
The fan on the right is the GPU fan, if your not using the gpu for anything it shouldnt be active.

However one thing I have noticed is if you have any monitoring software installed, I use MSI afterburner, then whilst that is running the GPU always seems to be active but at 0%. However this causes the GPU fan to periodically kick in.

However even when the fan is on its not that loud, its less than my desktop pc for instance although it sounds a little louder simply because its closer to me, eg if I my ears were less than 2ft from the desktops fans they would sound louder.

fishcake

Hi Finn

Heres the thing... right now I'm sitting here with nothing running but Chrome. And the fan on the right hand side is going at it pretty noisily. As far as I can tell, nothing at all is running in the background that uses the GPU. Everything is set to power saving in the switchable graphics section. If I put my hand round the back to feel the air coming out of the right vent, its very cool air and its coming out strong. Theres no reason for the fans to be spinning so fast at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT.
After listening to the fans spinning for half an hour, I put the laptop in sleep mode for a second or two and then woke it up. The laptop now sounds much quieter. I'm pretty sure theres something wrong with the way its been set up.

Last edited: