Vortex III Matte vs 95% Matte?

PlasticTastic

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I just noticed the new option for the Vortex III 15", for the Matte screen with no extra cost. How good is it? Would it be worth shelling out the £80 for the 95% gamut? Could PCS put a side-by-side pic with lighting in the background? Thanks.

pips333

Hey there, I'm not a great forum poster but I've had my vortex 3 about 5 weeks now. I ordered the Matt screen and I can honestly say I'm still blown away regarding how good the screen is.
Beautiful accurate colors , really easy on the eye, no annoying reflections . I own a photo printing lab so I know a thing or two about color reproduction. I also use a semi pro Dell monitor and this screen is right up there really is. For me worth every penny.

PlasticTastic

Bronze Level Poster
I don't think I made myself clear in the question. There are 2 matte options, but one is free and the other costs £79. I was definitely going to get the Matte, but I'm wondering how much improvement the £79 brings?

pips333

Apologies Sir, only just seen the new option too.

Has to be the better AUO screen which after reading reading the forums on this , appears to be a much better screen.

Yamikotai

Expert
I don't think I made myself clear in the question. There are 2 matte options, but one is free and the other costs £79. I was definitely going to get the Matte, but I'm wondering how much improvement the £79 brings?

I don't have it myself (planning on getting one), but £79 is a great price for getting far, far better colour reproduction (should be sharper too).

Velkro

Hey
looking to be getting a Vortex III myself. Have been looking and mulling things over and over...too much probably with sooooo many conflicting points of view and advice it's becoming so much more difficult.

I read the forums here and think ok I'll be having one of those AUO screens then I read

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/674980-why-high-gamut-screens-not-suited-gamers.html

decisions decisions.

my wife is going nutz shouting just pick one for goodness sake....but I just cant make up my mind

in a bit

Velkro

Velkro

(EDIT)Apologies I know you are looking at the 15" my comments are re 17" (EDIT3 checked configurator and is same issue for 15")

Just checked the spec I wanted and am being "forced" to take screen upgrade or change my choice in gfx card ;(( (the screen upgrade is cheaper).

"At present the standard matte screen can only be ordered with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M. Please either select a glossy screen or the AUO version of the matte screen."

I spent weeks deciding on what I wanted and finally went to go buy the thing and this happens.

Kind of putting me off a bit now being forced to buy an "upgrade", there should be a disclaimer on the AMD card that it is "only compatible" with the AUO screen in the configurator stage.

check your spec you may have no choice.

in a bit

Velkro

(EDIT2) are the 95% gamut screens calibrated using datacolor spyder?

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
Had a chance to use (and set up) my friend's Optimus III today, and I can say the 95% screen is fantastic. You'll see colours that you've never seen on a computer screen before.

Velkro

Yamikotai, which tools do you use to "set up" these screens best? There are lots there to try and not sure which is best, like, Adobe Gamma, Quick Gamma, SpectraCal's CalPC, ColorVision Spyder 3 Pro, PANTONE huey PRO Display colour calibration kit. Also do you calibrate every couple of weeks or is a once off ok?

Yamikotai

Expert
Yamikotai, which tools do you use to "set up" these screens best? There are lots there to try and not sure which is best, like, Adobe Gamma, Quick Gamma, SpectraCal's CalPC, ColorVision Spyder 3 Pro, PANTONE huey PRO Display colour calibration kit. Also do you calibrate every couple of weeks or is a once off ok?
It seemed pretty much ideally calibrated out of the box so I didn't touch it. OS+networking is really more my thing than video/art.