Vortex III (Nvidia 680m) Nvidia 3D compatible?

svemin

Hi guys, I was wondering if the LCD of the Vortex 3 (with Nvidia 680m) is compatible with Nvidia's 3D glasses/system. I know the screen should be 120Hz. (is this the case with the Vortex III?), but may be there's other stuff that's important that I don't know about, ultimately, is the laptop compatible with Nvidia's 3D gear/setup? Cheers

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the screen on the Vortex III is not compatible with Nvidia 3D vision. However, if you connect the laptop to an external 3D screen such as a 3D TV (i.e. via DVI/HDMI) then you can play 3D games no problem. :)

svemin

Cool, thanks, this works for me. Just to make sure, I think you'd need HDMI 1.4 to do that, is the HDMI slot of the Vortex III version 1.4?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Cheers for the info but why would you use DVI on a 3D LED? is it superior to HDMI?

edit~~~~ sorry I see you said LCD monitor :wacko:

No worries :)
My understanding is that the reason for a DVI for an LCD monitor 120Mhz is that the higher resolution & refresh rate is supported only by dual link DVI cable. (for Nvidia 3D vision)

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
All High Speed HDMI cables will support 3D when connected to 3D devices.The latest HDMI 1.4 high speed cable for example will support 3D.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
All High Speed HDMI cables will support 3D when connected to 3D devices.The latest HDMI 1.4 for example will support 3D.

I can't get 3D vision with my monitor using any type of HDMI cable (I have try 1.3 and 1.4), I get an error indicating to use a DVI cable.
Edit: from the link I enclosed before it also indicated DVI cable needed for an LCD monitor 120 Mhz

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The one that works,my brother has it working ok with an HDMI high speed cable,
so I know it works,I will try to find out where he got it from,but he's on holiday at the moment.

Is he using a 3DTV display or an LCD monitor? I am probably wrong then, it would work with 1 monitor/lcd but for surround I got this information from NVIDIA:

In 3D Vision Surround, any monitor connected to the DisplayPort output must use a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter so that all three monitors are using Dual-Link DVI. Adapters are available from the NVIDIA Store, Club 3D, and other e-tailers. In future drivers, owners of BenQ’s XL2420T and XL2420TX 3D Vision monitors will be able to use the two DVI connectors and the DisplayPort connector without needing the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, as the BenQ monitors feature built-in DisplayPort 3D Vision technology.

The link that I posted from NVIDIA made me understand that the DVI is used for LCD monitor and the HDMI for 3DTV displays but looking at the manual for my monitor it also says, as you correctly pointed out, that HDMI should support 3D Vision.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Is he using a 3DTV display or an LCD monitor? I am probably wrong then, it would work with 1 monitor/lcd but for surround I got this information from NVIDIA:

In 3D Vision Surround, any monitor connected to the DisplayPort output must use a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter so that all three monitors are using Dual-Link DVI. Adapters are available from the NVIDIA Store, Club 3D, and other e-tailers. In future drivers, owners of BenQ’s XL2420T and XL2420TX 3D Vision monitors will be able to use the two DVI connectors and the DisplayPort connector without needing the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, as the BenQ monitors feature built-in DisplayPort 3D Vision technology.

The link that I posted from NVIDIA made me understand that the DVI is used for LCD monitor and the HDMI for 3DTV displays but looking at the manual for my monitor it also says, as you correctly pointed out, that HDMI should support 3D Vision.
He has one 3D capable monitor,the thread isn't about 3D Vision Surround.