Vortex III Producing Fuzz Sound through Headphones

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
This new computer is sadly just stressing me out. I keep coming across more problems with it! :(

My Vortex III laptop arrived on Monday and I've just got round to putting my headphones in for the first time. Just wanted to settle down and watch a TV episode before going to bed. However, I noticed as soon as I put my headphones in that there was a constant background fuzz noise. That'll stop me getting immersed in movies or video games! There's no fuzzing sound from the laptop's own out-loud speakers, and it only goes away from the headphones when I hit the mute button.

Now if this background fuzz had occured through all devices I'd ever used headphones for, I would accept it, but it hasn't. I'm pretty sure I never got this fuzz on my old Sony VAIO laptop, and I don't get it when listening to my iPod. But when I put my headphones in my relatively new hi-fi system, it also has fuzz, whereas its own outloud speakers don't have any.

What causes this horrible disruption? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

I am becoming deeply saddened by this computer. :(

Warmzie

I have had this with alot of PC's over the years. Right now on my desktop I dont have it. The reason being i have a USB headset. I even have that noise on my nexus 7 at times.

Pagey

Bright Spark
Just out of curiosity, what headphones you using? I have a feeling they may be super sensitive, have you tried any other headphones on them?

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
Well the ones I use all the time are CX300II, in-ear headphones by Sennheiser. They produce the fuzz sound on this computer. But I just tried some cheap DJ headphones I have, and they don't have a background fuzz! Can't tell if maybe the sound quality isn't as good... I would ideally like to be able to use the headphones I always normally use.

TECHNOLOGY STRESSES ME OUT!

Pagey

Bright Spark
Sounds to me like the Sennheisers are actually very sensitive. On my old Dell laptop I had the same problem and points to the same problem: Bad Grounding. Granted I don't have that issue on my Optimus IV, but you have two choices: 1. Use different headphones or 2. Get a USB soundcard. Considering the issue won't go away, maybe you should give PCS a bell about it and ask them of your options, they might RMA it to see if that'll fix things, if not, it might be something you'll need to live with.

Tom DWC

I have a very slight issue with a set of ASUS Vulcan's doing this but it's never noticeable once there's audio playing through the headsets. No idea what causes it.

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
I guess I should sit down and compare my two sets of headphones. See if those cheaper ones have any noticeable difference in sound quality.

1. Use different headphones

Anyone got any suggestions? Good quality, ideally in-ear headphones that don't produce this background fuzz sound. (Also ideally noise cancelling ones, as my current mouse makes quite loud clicks.)

Considering the issue won't go away, maybe you should give PCS a bell about it and ask them of your options, they might RMA it to see if that'll fix things

My Dad called them today when I was out and apparently they were aware that this is sometimes an issue. Hmm... They said that it might be due to the laptop being plugged into the mains, and I should try it when just running on battery. Huh? What about when I want to get immersed in gaming for hours? I might try calling them up myself and see if there's anything they can do. What's "RMA"?

I realise I'm sounding like a very pedantic, rude person, and I apologise. I just always get agitated when technology doesn't work exactly as I hope. Not a good quality in me.

Pagey

Bright Spark
No I can totally understand.

And yes you will find it's bad grounding on the PSU and that bad grounding will cause the hum whilst the PSU is plugged in and on. To test the theory, just try the headphones without the PSU plugged into the laptop and if it doesn't hum, then that's your culprit. Just out of curiosity, how many pins does the plug have the connects the mains to the PSU?

On my Dell, my "Soundmagic E30's" were giving me significant hum, but not on any other devices. Iirc I had some Sennheiser IEM's "CX200's" that had no problems with the Dell, so I don't think they were that sensitive.

I know the frustration as it can really get annoying especially at lower volumes.

The thing is, if they know it's a known issue then it might be pointless doing a "RMA = Return merchandise authorization". I know it can be a hassle to find another set of 'phones, but it will be the least frustrating.

Hope this helps, but if you have any more questions, please ask.

PokerFace

Banned
And yes you will find it's bad grounding on the PSU and that bad grounding will cause the hum whilst the PSU is plugged in and on. To test the theory, just try the headphones without the PSU plugged into the laptop and if it doesn't hum, then that's your culprit.

If this is the case, can't he just RMA the PSU and hopefully it will then be ok? Or do you mean the bad grounding is on his household wiring?

Pagey

Bright Spark
It's the case of how the PSU is designed, RMA'ing will probably get you another PSU that will do exactly the same thing. Your household wiring certainly wouldn't be the issue.