Vortex III RAM slots

hargil

Silver Level Poster
Vortex III RAM slots

I see I can have one 8 GB RAM module fitted.

Is there any upside to fitting them in pairs, would this increase performance, would the memory be interleaved so something fancy like that?

Do they need to be matched accurately?

I remember in days of old they had to be fitted in matched pairs.

Is it ok to populate the slots one at a time over a period of time?

One 8 GB now, one 8 GB next year etc.

I was thinking of just putting one 8 GB for now and spending the saving on upgrading the processor to the next one up.

Thanks

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The days of matched pairs are all but gone...

The idea behind 1 x 8GB is so that you can upgrade to 16GB in the future. However, the cost for an 8GB module is high! Unless you absolutely plan to upgrade in the future, choose 2 x 4GB.

HelBic

Bronze Level Poster
What's interesting here is I have ordered my Vortex III laptop with 16GB of RAm, but it's 4x4gb DIMMS - so for me the buy 1x8GB doesn't hold water, unless of course you want to upgrage to 32GB - now we're talking!

flobber238

Bronze Level Poster
Same situation as HelBic exactly. Plus those 8GB sticks are a little more costly, and I don't think 16GBis going to throttle anything, for many years...

hargil

Silver Level Poster
I don't care anymore.

i have a drawer full of unused memory modules that i have removed from computers i have upgraded in the past.

i am leaveing my options open.

i want power....

so i will start with an 8 GB module (and put the money saved from not fitting 16 GB now to get the faster processor) and upgrade 8 GB at a time until it is full

power power power