Vortex III Synaptics Touchpad Issues on Windows 8 Pro

I have a problem where every so often, my touchpad will stop working correctly. More specifically, the "double tap to double click" function stops working. If I tap on the touchpad surface, the pointer just shoots off somewhere on the screen. Restarting the PC solves this but only until it happens again. I have tried the latest Clevo driver for my touchpad as well as a driver from Synaptics themselves, but no luck. Does anyone else have this problem?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You might try going into Device Manager, right-click on the entry for your touchpad and click Uninstall. Click Yes when asked if you want to uninstall the driver. Then reboot and install the Clevo driver and see whether that helps? Sometimes installing several different drivers on top on one another can cause these kinds of problems.

It might also be worth unplugging any external devices you have connected, if Windows detects any external device it doesn't know about it assumes it's a mouse, and that could cause the problems you experience. I've seen that a lot with USB attached GPS receivers.

If they don't fix it come back here, I'm sure others have some better ideas. :)

Thanks for the reply, however, there are no external devices connected to my PC when this happens. The driver that is installed is the Clevo Windows 8 one (latest). I have tried other drivers from Synaptics themselves, but they also have the same problem. The touchpad is working, because I can still move the mouse pointer, but if I tap to click on something, the pointer will shoot off to the top right corner of the screen. It is a very weird problem, and Googling is completely pointless, as it yields no results.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the reply, however, there are no external devices connected to my PC when this happens. The driver that is installed is the Clevo Windows 8 one (latest). I have tried other drivers from Synaptics themselves, but they also have the same problem. The touchpad is working, because I can still move the mouse pointer, but if I tap to click on something, the pointer will shoot off to the top right corner of the screen. It is a very weird problem, and Googling is completely pointless, as it yields no results.

Did you try this:

You might try going into Device Manager, right-click on the entry for your touchpad and click Uninstall. Click Yes when asked if you want to uninstall the driver. Then reboot and install the Clevo driver and see whether that helps? Sometimes installing several different drivers on top on one another can cause these kinds of problems.

It might be a conflict between the different drivers you have tried, this should eliminate all driver(s) and you can then start again with just the Clevo one.

It might also be worth looking at what applications you have running, especially those that autostart. In Windows 8 you can manage starup-up applications from the Task Manager. Click on the Start Up tab and then right-click on all non-essential applications and disable them, then reboot. If you still get the problem then you can simply enable them all again and reboot. Of course if that stops it then......

Do you have the Hotkey driver installed? And up to date? That can affect several components.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I have the clevo one that enables 2 touch scroling etc i got it from the Clevo website too.

Once installed i needed to restart 2wice for some reason then right click on the track pad icon in the task bar and enable the difference functions.

The windows 8 touch pad comes with some annoying functions though like scroll from right edge to left to bring up start menu etc. Although handy it can become an annoyance when its done accidentally.

Hope this maybe helps, i can try stuff out tonight when im home.

I always install drivers through the device manager. If I uninstalled the driver that was put in before the Clevo OEM one, it would be the Microsoft generic one that windows 8 installed during setup, after which the touchpad would stop working altogether lol. I have tried reformats, but lack the knowledge to decide which start-up processes/applications would cause problems if they were stopped from running during boot. Hotkey is also the latest one for my model (P170EM) from clevo site also.