Vortex III - Windows 8 boot issues

mardaw

Hi there,

I received my new Vortex III yesterday, and I've had an odd problem that's appeared a couple of times so far in varying guises.

Yesterday, I shut the laptop down for a few minutes using shutdown from within Windows 8. On starting back up again, I got the Windows 8 BSOD and had to reboot. OK, teething issues I thought, not to worry.

Rebooted and used the laptop for a bit, then shutdown for tea. Coming back to it later, powered on and was just presented with a black screen with a cursor (I could move the cursor), nothing else, left it for a few minutes, and nothing, so powered off and back on again. Used it for the rest of the night ok, using the shutdown option at the end of the night before going to bed.

Came in from work today, powered on the laptop and was presented with the initial Windows 8 is setting up your PC stuff from the first time I booted up the laptop, weird! I let that finish, although it kept popping up with BTServer.exe crashing (Bluetooth from the looking of things, thanks Google!) which I had to OK past. When that finished (several BTServer.exe crash messages later, I was presented with the Start screen with no applications, even weirder!. Used the bar that appears on the right, settings, shutdown, restart to reboot, and I'm to where I am now :(

I have restarted the laptop a few times in between the problems, and that seems fine. After the first BSOD I ran Windows Updates and installed those. Only other thing I've installed so far is Steam, and the first two issues (BSOD & black screen with cursor) happened before I installed that.

Any theories anyone??

I was wondering if there was possibly an issue with the fast boot on Windows 8, I noticed on power-up from shutdown the BIOS splash screen shows Resuming from Hibernation....

Thanks in advance :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hmmm. It might be worth taking the back off and just checking that everything is seated properly - especially the RAM cards. This doesn't look like your normal "Windows is a bit screwed" problem to me but something more serious. My gut is telling me it feels hardware related (hence my suggestion you check everything is seated). If everything looks ok I would suggest you call PCS and ask for their help and advice.

Sad news :(

mardaw

Little update, I disabled the fast boot option in Windows 8 the other day and, touch wood, I've not had any issues since that change. Probably early days yet, but good so far. The laptop doesn't seem to boot any slower to me either, with the SSD, so I haven't lost anything either :)