Vortex III with 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M

dangro474

Bright Spark
Sorry to burst your bubbles it might not even be faster than the 7970!!!!!:
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27223-nvidia-preparing-gtx-680m-for-computex

Old article based on leaked information on a (possibly) different chip which could well be fake. Many enthusiasts estimate the real 680M GTX (MSI OEM, photo appeared on MSI taiwanese forum a few weeks ago) will have an approximate 80W TDP and looks like it may be based on an undervolted downclocked 670 or 660Ti GK106 chip, outperforming the 7970M by approximately 10% based on this prediction.

We'll find out in a week.

Nobody can deny that the 7970M is an excellent successor to ATI/AMD's 5870M and 6990M, their previous performance cards which significantly undercut the Nvidia counterparts, and the 7970M pitcairn architecture in particular is amazing.

... I just don't like their drivers poor vsync and triple buffer support ><;

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
Old article based on leaked information on a (possibly) different chip which could well be fake. Many enthusiasts estimate the real 680M GTX (MSI OEM, photo appeared on MSI taiwanese forum a few weeks ago) will have an approximate 80W TDP and looks like it may be based on an undervolted downclocked 670 or 660Ti GK106 chip, outperforming the 7970M by approximately 10% based on this prediction.

We'll find out in a week.

Nobody can deny that the 7970M is an excellent successor to ATI/AMD's 5870M and 6990M, their previous performance cards which significantly undercut the Nvidia counterparts, and the 7970M pitcairn architecture in particular is amazing.

... I just don't like their drivers poor vsync and triple buffer support ><;

drivers okay you say they are bad but vsync can be enabled in all games these days and what is the benefit of triple buffering? It's something that works good with vsync right?

dangro474

Bright Spark
drivers okay you say they are bad but vsync can be enabled in all games these days and what is the benefit of triple buffering? It's something that works good with vsync right?

Not all games.

Essentially triple buffering provides a speed improvement for games operating with vsync, and is more or less mandatory nowadays while using vsync.

I have used D3DOverride in the past (part of the Riva Tuner software package) to force vsync and triple buffering with applications, however many have stipulated that it doesn't work too well in Win 7 SP1, and I personally dislike relying on unsupported 3rd party applications for important features (to me) such as vsync and triple buffering :/ This is one of the main reasons I would prefer to wait for the 680M GTX.

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
Not all games.

Essentially triple buffering provides a speed improvement for games operating with vsync, and is more or less mandatory nowadays while using vsync.

I have used D3DOverride in the past (part of the Riva Tuner software package) to force vsync and triple buffering with applications, however many have stipulated that it doesn't work too well in Win 7 SP1, and I personally dislike relying on unsupported 3rd party applications for important features (to me) such as vsync and triple buffering :/ This is one of the main reasons I would prefer to wait for the 680M GTX.

When I try to install Riva Tuner software package I get a message saying: "RivaTuner Statistics Server is currently active, install process will be aborted!". What do I do?
I got this software from http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

dangro474

Bright Spark
If you have EVGA Precision or HIS iTurbo installed, either uninstall them or disable them and try installing rivatuner again.

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
We are planning our Q3/Q4 schedule and as many of your are aware the 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M will be released during this period and we expect to receive stock from September onwards, according to the current schedule.

We are seeing pricing that is approximately £180 more than the 2GB HD 7970M but according to benchmark performance tests it will only be around 10% faster than the 2GB Radeon HD 7970M. Would you pay £180 for this?

How many versions of GTX 680M will there be? If there is a 2GB version would you stock it? Because then it could be cheaper than the 4GB GTX 680M, which you ask for a very high price. Also isn't 4GB on a mobile card overkill?

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
Pretty damn ridiculous. OriginPC are charging $286 for an upgrade from 7970m to 680m. (476/190=2.5) That's x2 and a half the price of a single 7970m. Oh so Nvidia think one 680m can out run an 7970m in crossfire eh. http://www.originpc.com/eon17-s-gaming-laptop-features.asp
Just for your info fellow readers $286 is £187 at the time of currency on 4th June 2012: 1 USD = 0.650241 GBP.

Last edited:

dangro474

Bright Spark
Pretty damn ridiculous. OriginPC are charging $286 for an upgrade from 7970m to 680m. (476/190=2.5) That's x2 and a half the price of a single 7970m

It's 2.5x the upgrade price of a 670M -> 680M vs a 670M -> 7970M, not 2.5x the price of a 7970M GPU.

We are seeing pricing that is approximately £180 more than the 2GB HD 7970M but according to benchmark performance tests it will only be around 10% faster than the 2GB Radeon HD 7970M. Would you pay £180 for this?

gpu-z.gif

65230.jpg

652282.jpg

**** yes. Roll on 680M.

Last edited:

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
It seems 680m is coming out sooner than we expected. Should be in by the end this month (June 2012).
All of North America's custom Clevo sites including Sager already have it in their config page and is listed as (ETA: End of June, 2012).
Oh and it's $295 extra to upgrade from 7970m:(((

Last edited:

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
Also I hope PCS can confirm they will enable GPU Boost on 680m in their Clevo P170EM's as it is an optional feature offered by resellers due to it's cooling requirements. Since P170EM is a good cooler they should have it but plz confirm it.

jacobpov

wow this is truly a beast I would defiantly get this one over the ati (if the benchmarks are real) ! but can't wait no more so next time :p but again next time there will be nvidia 780 GTX :)