Vortex IV fan on 100%

daveeb

Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused about a fan in my recently purchased Vortex IV that is permanently running. I can't say for sure if it has always done this but now that i've noticed it it does always seem to be on (although it only blows hot when gaming). I'm guessing it's the GPU (770M) fan as it's GPU-Z program that reports it running at 100% although Speedfan doesn't "see" any fans. Is there also a CPU fan and should either or both fans run all the time ?? (i also have a Dell XPS 17 that is whisper quiet unless gaming).

Thanks

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello Daveeb,

there is a function on the Vortex range if you press FN and the number 1 it puts the fans onto full pelt. Does pressing that make any odds?

Mike

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hi Mike, yes pressing Fn 1 makes it go full tilt, much faster than what it's on normally...thanks for the tip !!! I just wondered if it's normal to be constantly running albeit at a fairly low level (but still noticeable now i'm "tuned into it") and is it the GPU or CPU fan i'm probably hearing ?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I have the Vortex 2 and i can hear it constantly, but the newer ones might be different im honestly not sure sorry.

Its a difficult thing to comment on because the noise volume varies depending where you place it, if theres a wall behind it it can seem louder etc.

daveeb

Enthusiast
You're right, I normally use it in one of two areas, the one it's in now has a wall within 12 inches and does make the sound more obvious but only really noticeable if the room is quiet.
Thanks for your thoughts, and i appreciate the Fn 1 tip.

cheers

dave

selbster

Bronze Level Poster
Mine does it most of the time but does switch off. You can always try switching your profiles using fn and esc but don't forget to change them for gaming. As for the fans. The cpu fan is on the left and gpu on right( when laptop bottom facing toward the floor)

daveeb

Enthusiast
Cheers Selbster, in that case it's the CPU fan on mine that's on all the time, which makes sense, although nvidia inspector and GPU-Z both show GPU fan as 100%

selbster

Bronze Level Poster
yea they do for some reason, its the same with mine. Like yours as well it is the cpu thats blowing. I'd only expect to see the gpu fan in use with the fn and 1 or when the gpu is in use which will be shown on right hand side with the 3rd led lit, just in case you didnt know ha.