Vortex IV LE 15.6" Review after 1 day of use

rav007

Enthusiast
I ordered the Vortex IV LE on Saturday 14th on 5 day fast track, it was built on the 18th, tested 18th until 19th, marked as awaiting dispatch on 19th at 1pm and dispatched 20th 4pm. Thanks to all the people involved in my order for making it go smoothly, I got the laptop today just as expected. The Laptop build I ordered was the base model with the following differences:

CPU: i7 4700mq
GPU: 765m 2gb
RAM 4gb 1600mhz
500gb WD HDD 5400rpm
Intel N-6235 300mbps+BT
No OS or office
Silver warranty
Fast track

Total I paid was 835 with a discount code.

PCS experience
As I said, the build was done in perfect time and PCS honoured their 5 day dispatch I paid for so that is a positive. For the questions I had I messaged PCS through my account and received a reply all time within a few hours which is great service in my opinion, I expected a day or two turnaround but a few hours is fantastic so again I am very please and give the service a 10/10.

Laptop Setup
I received the laptop today at 11am to find an inception of packaging, a box within a box. The laptop was in an anti-static bag and in a shock absorbing foam padding which I thought held the laptop and other things in place nicely. There was a user manual and another book from PCS included in the pack along with 2 drivers disks (Win 7 and win 8 I guess) and nero trial. The battery and PSU were in yet another box within the box within the box. I was very pleased with packaging. So once I savaged the packaging with a fish knife (safety first), I installed my Samsung 840 250gb SSD in place of the 500GB I ordered and then used a windows 8 boot USB to install the OS. I had an OS by 11:30 and then went on with the drivers. The disk included about 17 or 18 drivers, the ones I remember are:
Intel chipset
Intel VGA
Nvidia Graphics
AMD graphics
LAN
WIFI
Audio (realtek)
Pointing device
Hotkeys
Bluetooth combo
Fingerprint
Soundblaster audio
Then a bunch of intel ones for rapid start and so on that I didnt bother with because of the SSD. IF you want the full list comment below.

The drivers were installed 2 at a time with reboots in between and by 11:45 I had them all installed but Soundblaster wouldnt detect the speakers as "supported" so I ended up going back over that a couple of times and after re-installing it under Win7 compatibility and Admin mode, the next reboot everything worked. Before 12pm I had a fully working laptop. This was very straightforward and although there was some faffing around with SoundBlaster, as I am familiar with windows 8 and diagnosing these issues from past experience I give the setup procedure for a no OS system a 10/10, meaning it was relatively easy and if you got stuck, a quick google would handle it.

Laptop Quality
This is my favourite section. I was expecting sub-standard quality given all the things I have read so far from other people saying it is plastic and it is cheaper than the vortex IV and it is obvious and blah blah. However, I came to this from a Toshiba L500 which was really flexible plastic, it was a great laptop while I had it but it was still poor. For an £800 laptop this definitely feels the part. The laptop is a hard plastic which I can say is comfortable to hold with one hand and not fear anything will break, given the substantial weight this thing has. When I tap on it, I am reminded that it is plastic, but it also feels really dense and robust. The hinge is great with enough resistance to know it will hold up but doesn't feel too tight that you have to go into beast mode to open the laptop. The plastic has a grainy finish which I think is very similar to the Logitech G700 mouse, but for a more general view one could say it is the same texture as the xbox 360 control pad but grainier, more abrasive. You won't end up with stubs if you use it too long though, it is comfortable to me. The screen is an absolute joy at full HD on a 15.6inch screen, very crisp and clear, the colours are great and to me I think the colour saturation is fantastic, very vivid colours in my opinion.

Though the speakers arent going to win any awards, they have a really robust software behind them with SoundBlaster Xfi mb3. It has really good options that are more advanced than Realtek audio software, with levels for bass and voice isolation and even environmental effects. I think the quality is good, possibly even great given they are 1inch speakers that probably don't cost an aweful lot to make and sure Dynaudio on the MSI laptops is amazing but I find having amazing speakers on a laptop is an oxymoron, just buy sennheiser headphones or a gaming headset with virtual surround. The USP of this laptop has to be they keyboard though. The chiclet keyboard is amazing, I literally see no flex at all and the keys have a great amount of travel and fantastic response. I have to say I am thoroughly impressed, it is comparable to Apple's chiclet keyboards, the metal ones, Kudos to Clevo and more Kudos to PCS for having this as part of their range. 10/10 though I wish I could give more!
EDIT: Just a small bit of information on the keyboard, I noticed some laptops like Sony Vaios leave keyboard marks on the screen because the chiclet keyboard is quite elevated and everytime the lid is closed the keys touch the screen. This is never going to be an issue as the screen is set in approximately 2mm, and the keyboard is set about 3mm into the laptop and the trackpad 1mm in. With the rubber feet around the screen, there is no way keyboard will ever screen. I think that is a big positive whether it was intentional or not, and the design is awesome.

20130923_171807.jpg

First proper use and gaming performance
The first thing I did was install Steam and Origin and download Skyrim, GTA4, Fifa12, NFS Shift, Crysis Warhead. The intention to give you a nice balanced review with an open world adventure RPG, a sports games, a racing game, an FPS and something that combines other aspects but is known to be quite CPU bound (GTA4). All games were tested at 1920 x 1080 and Fifa was maxed with 60fps constantly, zero lag on max settings including vsync. NFS Shift also with full settings 4x AA and everything in max ran smoothly with 50+fps, Skyrim ram in Ultra High with max everything but no FXAA at 45fps with rare dips to 36fps still smooth as silk, 60fps in dungeons. GTA4 I had issues with because of Games for Windows Live and Windows 8 issues (How do they make that mistake with their own platform?!) but fixed it with win7 compat + admin and I think the settings were all maxed except draw distances which were in the 40's and nigh shadows were high. A happy 50+fps for that. Crysis warhead hates something on the machine as it refuses to run, as does crysis. I will find a way to make these work soon. My intention was not to give you the latest and greatest games benchmarks as that is done by pretty much everyone, but to give you older but still quite demanding games to see the rate of progression. If you are interested in other games let me know and I will post a list of what I have. With sufficient demand I will do some video benchmarks too. The performance both met and in some cases exceeded my expectations so 10/10 again.

2013-09-23_00004.jpg2013-09-23_00005.jpg

Temps, Noise, Fans, emissions
Granted I didn't play the most intensive games out there, my GPU temps maxed at 65 and CPU at 69 after a couple of hours playing. I will do a more intensive benchmark soon and report back is people are interested but my fans were probably on the 2nd setting up from being off. They spend most of their time in setting 1 and if I idle the machine the fans go off completely which is promising for OEM paste. I don't think I will repaste. Max fans override is FN+1 and to give you an idea it sounds as loud as your car air conditioning on setting 4. If you dont have a car then I would say it is as loud as a mid pitched whistle, which I just "confirmed" using a decibel-meter on my phone. Another way I think of it is when you are at the seaside and the waves come crashing in from about 50cm to 1m, its about that loud. Hopefully you either have a car, whistle or have fond memories of the seaside so you can use that as a comparison for max fans on Vortex IV LE. I have not yet managed to get my computer to hit max fans. 10/10 again.

Capture.PNG

I am very impressed, and I am happy I chose this laptop over the Vortex IV. I am a regular gamer but have many other uses such as CAD design and computer programming, report writing and a lot of calculations so this machine is fantastic for me. Also as someone who does have a pretty limited budget, I don't regret not having a 770m because although it is 30% faster, the 765m is also in Razer's main gaming laptops, the top GPU in the Alienware 14 which I think is comparable to this as the Alienware 17 is more P170sm competition, and also in many MSI laptops and all these manufacturers (as well as Clevo) wouldnt choose it by coincidence, it obviously shows itself off really well. It is definitely entry level desktop performance and having done a 3d Benchmark test with Passmark, this GPU landed above the GTX 550Ti so on a budget I recommend this laptop for sure.

EDIT 2: I am currently having some difficulty accessing under the keyboard and the main vents, the screws are pretty tight and being so small I cannot get enough torsion behind them to lift the keyboard or open the main bottom panel. This could be because I do not have a comprehensive set of screwdrivers. The precision screwdrivers fit nicely but I cannot get enough grip to turn, and the only other one I have is a medium sized screwdriver which had started to strip one of the screws so I stopped before lasting damage was done so I can still try again later when I have more to test with.

Last edited:

rav007

Enthusiast
Games list (Just common and somewhat demanding games): Assassins creed 1, 2, 3, Brotherhood, Revelations, Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Bioshock 1 and 2, Borderlands, COD4, Black Ops, MW2, MW3, Cities in motion, Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, Company of Heroes, Counter Strike Source, Crysis, Crysis 2, Crysis Warhead, Crysis Wars, Dead Island, Dead Space 1 and 2, Deus Ex all 3, Dirt 1 and 2, Driver San Fran, Elder Scrolls 3 4 and 5, Empire Total War, Fable 3, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Far Cry 1 and 2, Front Mission Evolved, Frozen Synapse, Fuel, Garrys Mod, GTA 3 + VC + SA + 4, HL2 + EP1 + EP2, Just Cause 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Map Payne 1 and 2, Medieval 2 total war, Metro 2033, NBA 2k13, NFS Shift, Portal 1 and 2, Prince of Persia 1 2 and 3, Red Faction Guerrilla, Resident Evil 5, Rome Total War, Serious Sam HD, Civ 3 + 4 + 5, Starwars battlefront 2 + KOTOR, Toca 3, HAWX, Rainbow six Vegas 2, Splinter Cell Chaos theory + Conviction, Tomb Raider the first 9 games, Witcher, Witcher 2 (Those are my main steam games)
Burnout Paradise, Dragon Age origins, Fifa12, NFS Hot Pursuit + Undercover + Shift 2 and Sims 3 + Ambitions + Late night + World adventures (That is Origin) and also Street Fighter 4 arcade, Street Fighter X tekken, Flight Simulator X and F1 2012 (standalone). If you want me to test any, benchmark, or check the performance on Windows 8 let me know

rav007

Enthusiast
Further to the edit above I have some quite exciting news (for me at least), I posted a thread in the past that nobody seemed to care about regarding dual msata and was told by a rather confused PCS representative by email that they believed there was no dual msata (I emailed to ask if I could get dual msata ssd's in this laptop).

I can now confirm that in addition to the exposed msata slot near the CPU and battery that is well documented, there is definitely another one under the 2.5inch hdd bay. Under the bay there is a silver plate screwed down by 2 screws and unscrewing those exposes the second msata slot (just a regular mpcie slot) which also has one screw supplied with it!

I personally sacrificed the Optimus V dual HDD and msata setup for this hoping for dual msata to cover my losses and I am glad it paid off for future expansion. The significance to you is if you want a well balanced build having a 120/128gb msata + 750gb HDD is good and easily achieved on this machine. But in the future if you feel "I really wish I had more SSD space so some of my games and applications would load in 20 seconds rather than 3 minutes" common culprits being skyrim, MW3, Autocad, 3dsMax, Photoshop, etc. well you can go get yourself a second msata 128gb or more and put it into the additional slot without having to replace the original one with a larger one and having to reinstall OS and drivers and all that other work which eats up time.
Also if you DO want to replace your old mSATA with a new one double the size, you can clone the OS across to the new one using the second slot and then factory wipe the old one and do what you want with it, it makes life so much easier! So I do hope this helps somebody out there! I assume the same features will be available on the Vortex IV too

Last edited by a moderator:

rav007

Enthusiast
Some more fun for results, I want to keep everything confined to this thread, I dont see the point creating new ones so this will show my perfomance too. I am currently running a full stress test with Prime95 and Furmark together. Prime95 I just opened it and began a test with 8 workers. It has been going for 10 minutes at the time of the screenshot below. I will run it for 10 more. Furmark is on 15 minutes running the burn in test at 1024x768 8xMSAA. 99% GPU load on the nVidia GPU.

So far the GPU ran up to 60C on fan speed setting 2 (Fan speed setting 1 being the lowest, not off) and then after starting Prime95 ensuring the temps were initially stable, Prime95 crept up the CPU temps to 82 on one of the cores and then max fans came on and now the stable temps show 52C for GPU and 70C max all 4 cores CPU with max fans, both stress tests running simultaneously. I will post another screenshot in the next 10/15 minutes to see if there has been any changes. Currently writing this as I am doing the test and experiencing no lag or issues what-so-ever.

Stress test.jpg

rav007

Enthusiast
half an hour into Furmark, 25 minutes into Prime95. The 800,000 iteration 8K test has definitely increased temps. I have reset the max temps so you can see what the new maxes are from the past 15 minutes. Still under 80 with Max fans on.

Stress test 2.jpg

Stopped tests at 15:17 and within 15-20 seconds the temps returned to those shown below

Stress test 3.PNG

Last edited:

The Dood

cracking stuff, got a V4LE delivered today myself - only problem is I've got an hour of work to go before I get home to try it out :)

rav007

Enthusiast
cracking stuff, got a V4LE delivered today myself - only problem is I've got an hour of work to go before I get home to try it out :)

Thats good news, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! There is an official Clevo P151sm1 forum on notebookreview forums if you didn't already know, theres about 30 pages of comments on there too so it is quite a comprehensive thread on this laptop, which I haven't found elsewhere. It seems a lot of people want the Vortex IV instead of the LE version.

I have just benchmarked using Passmark Performance test and the screens are below. The machines used for comparison have both the i7 4700mq and GTX 765m, those were my filters and I ranked them by PC score, taking the top 25 or so to compare.

Summary, my laptop seems to be in the middle of the pack but as I selected the top PC scores for comparison it is ranked pretty high.
Summary.PNG

CPU score (lower than most by about 10%, cant figure out why. I installed the turbo boost monitor from Intel and it clearly does go into turbo when CPU testing, in the single thread it goes all the way up to 3.4ghz turbo, but usually between 3.1ghz to 3.3ghz. However for a second between tests the CPU goes into "power saving" so I think that may be playing a small role in it
CPU.PNG

2D benchmark
2D.PNG

3D benchmark
3D.PNG

Memory
Memory.PNG

If my CPU score can be improved I will upload the score, I hope mine can achieve a score in the 8500 region in some way but if I cant then I am still content. The other score that I felt was low was the RAM score but I only have 4gb Samsung DDR3 1600mhz, when I get 8 or 16gb Corsair vengeance I will upload another update, I think these will make a difference to the final score.

So in summary the score is quite near the top of the pack but I think there is still room for improvement and at this spec I think the score actually reflects Clevo quite highly in their builds.

Last edited:

rav007

Enthusiast
I wouldn't use furmark, I think some manufacturers don't recommend it.

I agree, I didn't really want to use it but as many people have used it in the past and Linus from LinusTechTips on youtube uses it too I felt I should at least cover it off

Rakk

The Awesome
I agree, I didn't really want to use it but as many people have used it in the past and Linus from LinusTechTips on youtube uses it too
Just cos other people have used it doesn't mean you have to, especially if you don't really want to :)
Should I go for the 'if Linus jumped of a cliff, would you do it as well?' metaphor :)

rav007

Enthusiast
Just cos other people have used it doesn't mean you have to, especially if you don't really want to :)
Should I go for the 'if Linus jumped of a cliff, would you do it as well?' metaphor :)

I guess I didnt finish that comment, I should have also written I wanted to see how my temps were and I just wanted to be comprehensive when testing.

Anyway Unigine 4.0: high, Normal Tesselation, 1280x1024. Max temps: CPU 70, GPU 60 (fans on 3rd setting)
Unigine 4.PNG

3D Mark 11 1280x720 performance test. Max temps: CPU 70, GPU 60 (fans on 2nd and 3rd setting)
3D Mark 11.PNG

3D Mark Vantage 1280x720 performance test. Max temps: CPU 75, GPU 60 (fans on 2nd and 3rd setting)
3d mark vantage.PNG

That about sums up all the performance test I will do on my machine. I will do some videos of gameplay shortly.

Last edited: