Vortex IV LE power lead and adaptor with gtx 870m

mrducking

Bright Spark
does the Vortex IV LE power lead and adaptor of 120W have enough power to feed the GTX 870M? the Vortex IV has an adaptor of 180W but the VortexIVLE only has 120W, that's why i'm a bit confused

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Not sure about the power requirements but any issues should either be highlighted in the configurator or during the testing phase so I wouldn't worry. You could try to contact PCS directly for an official response.

mrducking

Bright Spark
yeah, im guessing the 180W adapter is mainly for the GTX880M that the Vortex IV can have, but still, i wanted to be sure about it

rav007

Enthusiast
yeah, im guessing the 180W adapter is mainly for the GTX880M that the Vortex IV can have, but still, i wanted to be sure about it

Did you find out? The 180W i guess would be a requirement for the 880m as I believe that is marked as over 100W whereas the 870m is marked at 100W, so the actual difference will be substantial. Also the LE doesnt come with an i7 extreme processor option, who is marked at a juicy 57W TDP on intels site.

I imagine if PCS are selling the laptop with the 120W then it should work, and although if you went for an i7 quad you would be looking at a 47W TDP, the integrated GPU does claim a bit of that too. If you find out do let me know, I may buy the MXM card of the 870m and replace the 765m i have in my Vortex LE at the moment.

DirtyDog

does the Vortex IV LE power lead and adaptor of 120W have enough power to feed the GTX 870M? the Vortex IV has an adaptor of 180W but the VortexIVLE only has 120W, that's why i'm a bit confused

Hi
I have the Vortex IV LE with a gtx870M, rest of the spec is as follows

15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Memory - Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH
Battery Vortex 15.6" Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

I have had no issues with the laptop, had it since May, I do game quite a lot on it, the power supply has been fine for this set up so far, my only concern is it does get very hot after a period of around an hour, this is my first gaming laptop so Im not to sure if this is normal??
Hopefully this wont cause any issues in the future, only time will tell I guess.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
May be worth running piriform speccy to monitor your temps. If the cpu or gpu are reaching high 80's or beyond for extended periods may need to take action. I have the vortex iv 17" and it doesn't get hot even after hours.

mrducking

Bright Spark
if the thing that gets hot is the power supply then it means you are at the limit :) and thats what i wanted to know, thank you dirtydog :) :)

in regards to if it's gonna cause problems in the future: if it heats up a lot it will shorten the lifespan of the components, be it a power supply, a cpu or a gpu or whatever

i have fried a few laptops power supplies ;) after the second i learned to get a bit more margin in power needs so the power supply doesnt strain so much