Vortex IV overclocking?

danieluk9

Hey everyone, while I was waiting for my laptop to be made I had a thought; overclocking I mean, is it even possible? I'm getting a Vortex IV with Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4800MQ (2.70GHz) 6MB.
Is it possible to overclock this and if so what should I overclock it to where it's fast and safely stable at the same time?
If you could link me to a guide on how to overclock or something I'd be really appreciative :)

I'm practically dying waiting for it to come through, 4th day processing :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I think the BIOS allows you to overclock the CPU it is possible by looking for instructions online. I haven't done it, don't think is needed for my uses and the cooling on a laptop is not ideal for overclocking.

danieluk9

I'll be doing intense gaming on high end games and maybe a bit of video rendering, so I guess we'll see! Thanks +rep

rickne

Master Poster
Got a 680m here. Overclocking it is pointless. My GPU tears games apart . you have the uprated version so shouldnt be an issue. Plus you'll void your warranty. If you really must then use nvidia inspector or Afterburner. Google it and a good guide.

kruppsy

Master
Agree with the guys, don't bother and remember your cpu will boost up to 3.7ghz anyway, maybe slightly less if using multiple cores, a decent clock by any standards.

danieluk9

Agree with the guys, don't bother and remember your cpu will boost up to 3.7ghz anyway, maybe slightly less if using multiple cores, a decent clock by any standards.
So what you're saying is the i7's come already boosted? My friend has one and when the computer (it's a desktop) is busy his desktop widget shows the i7 going up to higher than normal? I thought he'd over clocked it or something bit if that's the case then I won't need to, it's just he removed his overclock once and said the difference is unmissable

keynes

Multiverse Poster
it's just he removed his overclock once and said the difference is unmissable
The difference is not noticeable and also he has a desktop with much better cooling.
So what you're saying is the i7's come already boosted?
turbo boost

rickne

Master Poster
Intel CPUs boost up to an optimal speed when required. It'll reset to its standard clock when not under load. Grap yourself Intels cpu monitoring tool or try CPU-ID if you'd like to see it for yourself. Then run a game like ARMA on low settings (no joke) to see your CPU panic. :)

kruppsy

Master
So what you're saying is the i7's come already boosted? My friend has one and when the computer (it's a desktop) is busy his desktop widget shows the i7 going up to higher than normal? I thought he'd over clocked it or something bit if that's the case then I won't need to, it's just he removed his overclock once and said the difference is unmissable

Mobile intel chips have a standard working frequency clock, in your case 2.7ghz and a Turbo Boost frequency, 3.7ghz. It varies from chip to chip, some don't have it at all. The cpu will boost as and when its needed all the way up to 3.7ghz if required. This is to save power etc. Likewise with desktop cpus, I'd forgotton that this was the case.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

A couple of posts have come in now, god im slow at typing!

Last edited:

rav007

Enthusiast

You already have a beast of a machine! As others will have said, the i7 uses Turbo Boost technology and unlike most things that end in "technology" it actually is pretty decent. It will boost up to 3.7ghz if operating a single core + there is temperature headroom to do so. On dual core I think it will be about 3.4/3.5 and maybe 3.2 on quad but not entirely sure of those, they will be documented somewhere already. Nevertheless, anything over 3.0ghz is only really a requirement for people who do intensive simulations/video editing where every second counts and so every .1ghz counts, even then you have a pretty robust setup for that too so it should work out well for you I believe.

Also you got yourself a 780m which is the best GPU on laptops excluding the extremes of SLI and Crossfire (770m, 780m, 680m, 675mx in crossfire). The 780m is essentially a doubled 765m, and performs like or better than a 765m SLI. Also it uses GPU Boost 2.0 as well so much like Turbo Boost for the CPU, it will overclock your GPU on the fly if there is temperature headroom to do so and documented boosts are up to 15%, that is even if you do need to use it!

The 780m stock clock will also be ideal for most things. I'm not sure how well you understand gaming performance but I find sometimes gaming can be lower than expected on even the best machines because the code isn't written amazingly well so there are game that need such an epic machine because where they failed to take full advantage of a GPU to run it, CPU's take some of the grunt work and as a cpu like the i7 has 4 cores, 8 threads it can process 8 things only in parallel vs the 780m which has 1536 cores which is clocked lower but can do 1536 things at once.

Long story short your overclocking is built in to the laptop.

rickne

Master Poster
My 3720QM runs up to 3.6 GHZ when running ARMA 3 :p Seen as ARMA is only single core optimised this is no suprise.