Vortex IV Second Disc woes

mipsman

I took delivery of a Vortex IV last week.

It has a 240GB Kingston SSD as the first disc with Windows 8.1 on it.
The second disk is the WD Scorpio Black 750GB.

I am having a LOT of problems with the second disc. As soon as I have got it formatted, Windows 8.1 tells me that the disc contains errors and needs to be scanned. When I scan it I don't find any errors. Then sometimes I reboot, or shutdown and boot up later, and windows insists on scanning the new drive to "repair" it. This repair often doesn't work and I lose access to the disc. It also causes windows to run VERY slowly. At this point I have to remove the disc, put it in a USB caddy and either reformat it or delete the volume.

I also have problems seeing the drive in UEFI settings, since I need to reboot to get to it and this just causes the scan of the second drive to start again. I seem to be spending a lot of time looking at a blue screen which says "Please wait ..." on it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the drive itself. I have removed it and put it in a USB caddy. It works perfectly from this computer from the caddy. I also did an extensive check for bad sectors using CHKDSK /R and no problems were found.

So far I have tried.

- updated the sata driver
- disabled power management of hard drives (suggested by Western Digital site)
- checked the drive is OK by using it in a caddy and using chkdsk
- checked the SATA port is working by plugging in a second Kingston SSD I have spare.

Does anyone have a similar setup here that can throw any light on my problems? Reading the specs of the machines people have bought there must be many running a second HD who have it working. :winkiss:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think you are best advised to call PCS on Monday. You seem to have done all the obvious fault-finding. Be prepared for a wait on the phone, Monday is a busy day for them I guess.