vortex IX for Ubuntu

I am configuring a couple of machines one for home and a portable machine that I can game on. I was looking at the vortex IX with the 144hz panel and g sync for gaming and wanted to see if anyone else had tried running the vortex IX on Linux

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If they have, I'm not sure they've posted about it:
Or if they have, I've not seen it.

The chassis is a CLEVO PB50RF. I just googled that and Linux and didn't turn up a great deal.

Usually Linux is more or less fine on Clevo chassis as far as I know, though I would certainly google around gsync, laptops, and your chosen Linux flavour before buying.

Thanks for your reply. I think a few builders are using the same chassis and the only problem I can find is that the keyboard backlight doesn't work under Linux.

markh

Bronze Level Poster
I'm also considering the Vortex IX to run Ubuntu Studio 19.04 on. There is a known Linux builder (not mentioning them by name in case I fall foul of forum rules!) who have succeeded in making this chassis run their own Ubuntu-based distro but they are known for putting in a lot of R&D before putting their machines on the market.

Similarly, they sell their OS on the Optimus X chassis, but again, there's nothing online about individuals successfully installing Linux on it themselves.

In either case I'd feel a lot better about buying if I knew of at least one success story! I'm not really up for being a time-consuming, potentially expensive test case. If anyone spots any good info online I'm all eyes.

From the research I have done I have found that the keyboard lighting may be a problem on some distros. I would like the oled display which I know a certain builder has got working really well with a Ubuntu based distro. I think the custom builder I have looked at uses a custom firmware. I think im going to pull the trigger