Vortex IX review

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
few last quick tests done, -0.250mv on core and -110mv on cache undervolt, seems to be stable so I leave it as it is. max temps 83c
maximum score I could get on cinebench with this undervolt, pretty happy with it. Very happy while gaming have zero stutters or lags, no thermall throttles at all even after longer gaming. Very glad for this.

Stress test, 15 min only but enough.

aida64.jpg

Cinebench R15 max fans
r15.jpg

btw does anybody know if a memory overclocking (ram) is actially working? wanted to try 2800mhz in bios
thx

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
I am glad PCS sorted you out mate those temps are mad. I have had my Vortex IX and have to just RMA it with suspect knackered RTX 2070.

My temps where horrendous compared to yours. When gaming with a decent under-volt the CPU would always be in the 90's and the GPU sits around 88.

PCS say thats normal so it will be interesting to see what they come back with regards fault diagnosis.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
I am glad PCS sorted you out mate those temps are mad. I have had my Vortex IX and have to just RMA it with suspect knackered RTX 2070.

My temps where horrendous compared to yours. When gaming with a decent under-volt the CPU would always be in the 90's and the GPU sits around 88.

PCS say thats normal so it will be interesting to see what they come back with regards fault diagnosis.
hi mate, i was on the same boat with my first unit, i requested replacement and PCS admited those temps (check my posts on 1st page) were high, main reason was back bleed though, I was throttling on 3 cores even after light gaming, they sent me replacement, sometimes even after 5-6 hours max temps are around 86 on new unit, on core 3 (core 2 in hwinfo) as hottest core, and I decided to keep this unit, works very good at the moment. hope you get sorted and dont settle if you unhappy, PCS have been very helpful
I am also running 150mhz core and 100hz on gpu temps around 68c max, btw 88c on gpu is not good at all

IMG_20200427_203156~2.jpg

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
Lemon_Haze that's interesting mate ill see what happens with the repair (it should all be under warranty) and what temps i get after it comes back to me. I unfortunately have a very long chequered past with PCS customer support so i wont be settling for a crap job.

Pokkai

I wish they did a 17" laptop with G Sync, those Vortex 15" are really nice, one thing to remember is you could boil water on those Intel CPU's so they will run in the high 80's and be deemed normal.
AMD is the way forward, coming from someone who historically wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
I have got few BSODs I must admit but only while playing anno 1800, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR , dont know if this is because of undervolt but never happen in another game, maybe @SpyderTracks will have a clue? actually happened 3 times in last week but never in another games tho.

Untitled.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have got few BSODs I must admit but only while playing anno 1800, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR , dont know if this is because of undervolt but never happen in another game, maybe @SpyderTracks will have a clue? actually happened 3 times in last week but never in another games tho.

View attachment 15873
I would expect it to be the undervolt. Am I right in thinking you're at -135mV? That's extremely high.

Different games will draw different loads. Anno 1800 is very CPU bound whereas most games will draw from the GPU.

The Kernel Power error is just a flag for when it's restarted incorrectly ie BSOD or power outage.

barlew

Godlike
I wish they did a 17" laptop with G Sync, those Vortex 15" are really nice, one thing to remember is you could boil water on those Intel CPU's so they will run in the high 80's and be deemed normal.
AMD is the way forward, coming from someone who historically wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Yeh they do run mega hot. Mine was running in the high 90's before i stuck an under-volt on it which bought it down to the high 80's.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeh they do run mega hot. Mine was running in the high 90's before i stuck an under-volt on it which bought it down to the high 80's.
You pretty much HAVE to undervolt any Intel CPU from i7 upwards, it's crazy and even worse with the 10 series.

And I stress because I think I've come across badly on this before, it's nothing to do with the chassis at all, the chassis are fantastic and I absolutely guarantee if you had the same chassis with an AMD chip it would be cool as icebergs, it's just these damn Intel chips. When a CPU manufacturers answer to thermal throttling is "they're designed to do that" you know it's not a good thing.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
I would expect it to be the undervolt. Am I right in thinking you're at -135mV? That's extremely high.

Different games will draw different loads. Anno 1800 is very CPU bound whereas most games will draw from the GPU.

The Kernel Power error is just a flag for when it's restarted incorrectly ie BSOD or power outage.
i had run prime95 but getting bsods even on stock with different errors hmm strange, im on actually -250mv on core and -110mv on cache, i have been stressed with aida64 couple of times but cannot get thru prime95 will post dump files tomorrow maybe some of you will have a clue, dont know if it isnt related to drivers by anychance. all of them has ntoskrnl file in it. i had a look maximum load while extreme gaming was 51,5W although prime test i seen up to 84W :O
pain.jpg

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i had run prime95 but getting bsods even on stock with different errors hmm strange, im on actually -250mv on core and -110mv on cache, i have been stressed with aida64 couple of times but cannot get thru prime95 will post dump files tomorrow maybe some of you will have a clue, dont know if it isnt related to drivers by anychance. all of them has ntoskrnl file in it. i had a look maximum load while extreme gaming was 51,5W although prime test i seen up to 84W :O
View attachment 15875
Prime95 is a much better cpu test than aida64, it will actually throttle the full performance whereas Aida won’t.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
Prime95 is a much better cpu test than aida64, it will actually throttle the full performance whereas Aida won’t.
yep, i had ran it on stock but bsod after 20-30 seconds hmm... will see tomorrow again and i try post dump file what has been causing issue, but as i said i never had any problems only after longer anno gaming but that is cpu demanding but still, it didnt meant i was stable. will try to get prime work tmrw

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
View attachment 15875

Almost all driver related BSODs have ntoskrnl as the failing module. That's the main part of the Windows kernel. If a driver screws up it's almost always the kernel that detects the problem (when the driver returns control to the kernel) and since the kernel contains no driver specific error recovery routines all it can do is BSOD. Often the dump produced will indicate the failing driver (the kernel knows which module it was) but even that's not guaranteed.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
Almost all driver related BSODs have ntoskrnl as the failing module. That's the main part of the Windows kernel. If a driver screws up it's almost always the kernel that detects the problem (when the driver returns control to the kernel) and since the kernel contains no driver specific error recovery routines all it can do is BSOD. Often the dump produced will indicate the failing driver (the kernel knows which module it was) but even that's not guaranteed.
hi mate thx for reply, just ran prime95 again no bssod but this message came up

I have uploaded minidumps from yesterday maybe you will have a clue, my guess is drivers but I not sure after this messgae pops up

1588062190084.png

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    787.4 KB · Views: 280

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hi mate thx for reply, just ran prime95 again no bssod but this message came up

I have uploaded minidumps from yesterday maybe you will have a clue, my guess is drivers but I not sure after this messgae pops up

View attachment 15876
That’s the undervolt, there’s not enough power for the CPU requirements so it reads it as hardware failure:

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
yeah i should go with prime straight away 87W ;O
, actually 'passed' a test on -200mv core and -110mv cache for 30 minits still running will try to find a sweet spot today, i know 100% i was stable on -100 on both but I got highest results on more aggresive undervolt, thanks again

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yeah i should go with prime straight away 87W ;O
, actually 'passed' a test on -200mv core and -110mv cache for 30 minits still running will try to find a sweet spot today, i know 100% i was stable on -100 on both but I got highest results on more aggresive undervolt, thanks again
No problems, glad you’re getting closer, I’m confident you’ll find the right settings now and hopefully have plain sailing from now on :)