Vortex laptop switching on and off repeatedly during startup

dmcn

Hi,

I have a Vortex laptop that I got in 2014 and just recently it's started not switching on immediately. I press the power button and it will start up/ fan and lights switch on etc, then after a couple of seconds it will switch off. This will repeat multiple times and then it will load up normally and I won't have any other issues. It won't load up at all on battery power, as after the first switch off it stays off. I've tired it with the battery removed as I thought that might be the issue, but it's the same. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

These were the original specs, though the RAM was upgraded to 32GB

Thanks in advance for any advice

Chassis & DisplayVortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4810MQ (2.80GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)4GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I have a Vortex laptop that I got in 2014 and just recently it's started not switching on immediately. I press the power button and it will start up/ fan and lights switch on etc, then after a couple of seconds it will switch off. This will repeat multiple times and then it will load up normally and I won't have any other issues. It won't load up at all on battery power, as after the first switch off it stays off. I've tired it with the battery removed as I thought that might be the issue, but it's the same. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

These were the original specs, though the RAM was upgraded to 32GB

Thanks in advance for any advice

Chassis & DisplayVortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4810MQ (2.80GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)4GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Just a wondering, sometimes laptops can be quite reliant on battery for boot up.

If you install HWMonitor, it has a battery wear indicator, what's that at?

dmcn

Just a wondering, sometimes laptops can be quite reliant on battery for boot up.

If you install HWMonitor, it has a battery wear indicator, what's that at?

It's at 0%. I've tried booting up with the battery removed from the laptop and it's still an issue

Untitled.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's at 0%. I've tried booting up with the battery removed from the laptop and it's still an issue

View attachment 26015
The only other thing I can think to suggest is replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard, sometimes they can affect boot performance.

No other symptoms when it's running in windows? Have you double checked thermals of GPU and CPU when on idle?

dmcn

The only other thing I can think to suggest is replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard, sometimes they can affect boot performance.

No other symptoms when it's running in windows? Have you double checked thermals of GPU and CPU when on idle?
The CPU is around 45 and the CPU 42. I'll have another clean of the fans, as it's been a while since I've done that, and I'll have a look at the CMOS batter and see if that makes a difference, thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The CPU is around 45 and the CPU 42. I'll have another clean of the fans, as it's been a while since I've done that, and I'll have a look at the CMOS batter and see if that makes a difference, thanks
It may be worth repasting it also, just as a matter of course, especially if you haven't done so in the last couple of years.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

View attachment 26015
I don't believe those battery capacity and wear level figures for a laptop battery that's over 6 years old! There's a sensor issue there for sure IMO. Given the symptoms and the age of the laptop I'd strongly suspect the battery.

It won't start on battery alone for example and if the battery is internally shorting somewhere then it's probably sucking too much pwer from the charger to run the laptop.

Get a new battery (and a new CMOS battery too). :)

dmcn

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it was the motherboard on the way out as just been told it's fried. Sad to see it go, but now I get to buy a new laptop :)