Vortex Series laptop about 4 years old crashing

Smith30_2018

Hello all!

Having a frustrating moment here, my spec is Vortex Series, Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ, 8GB KINGSTON, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M, 2TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5", 120GB Kingston SSDNow, GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 on a Win 10 OS.

So I gave my computer a fresh start! So completely reformatted, reinstalled windows and all my applications which I did at the 2 year point also, although this time round i'm facing frustrating errors such as "Stopcode Video_Memory_Management_Internal" so the blue screens stop when I go into safe mode and disable my GPU (nVidia) via Device Manager, tried completely removing the drivers/software completely of the GPU and tried the original drivers etc, the newest drivers and i'm unable to successfully use the GeForce software or nvidia control panel without the computer crashing or software not working correctly.

This is really irritating as jumping out at me its a driver issue, although everything's uptodate, even tried using Driver Booster to try locate any missing drivers I've missed which there isn't.

Any help you guys could suggest would be greatly welcomed!

Kind Regards,

Tom

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well I'd start again myself just because of the driver booster software.

Only this time, allow only Windows to find the necessary drivers.

Check it's stable at that point.

If so, then you can look to get the drivers from the NVidia site.

Smith30_2018

So after doing a fresh install, downloading the individual drivers myself from the manufacturers website. The computer still crashes. Windows completely update etc. The driver booster was an additional check to make sure I wasnt missing any. I tried the drivers supplied by pcspec and Nvidia also mate.

To add, after firstly reformetting and setting up windows for the first time, unless I disable the GPU straight away the system is really unstable and crashes. I've never had this issue before?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So after doing a fresh install, downloading the individual drivers myself from the manufacturers website. The computer still crashes. Windows completely update etc. The driver booster was an additional check to make sure I wasnt missing any. I tried the drivers supplied by pcspec and Nvidia also mate.

To add, after firstly reformetting and setting up windows for the first time, unless I disable the GPU straight away the system is really unstable and crashes. I've never had this issue before?

You didn't read what Tony1044 wrote above. With Windows 10 you should allow Windows Update to find all the drivers, it makes a very good job of this too.

It's clear from your first post that your issue is driver (or hardware) related (because it works in safe mode). It also seems that it's the Nvidia driver that's causing the BSOD (because they stop when you disable the dGPU).

Follow Tony1044's advice; do another clean reinstall and this time allow Windows Update to find and install all the drivers. :)

Smith30_2018

Hello, UBUYSA, sorry, I've also tried Tony1044's advice regards to the clean install, windows updates, the system crashed after the first wave of windows updates, caused by the nvidia card, as once I disabled it. The system worked as normal and windows updates continued through. Although it still didn't install things such as my Hotkey driver etc. Those I downloaded off PCSpec Tech Downloads section, then they updated through Win Update. Now the system refused to launch NVidia Control Panel - the GeForce experience keeps telling me to update to the latest version even though it shows the current being the latest at the same time.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello, UBUYSA, sorry, I've also tried Tony1044's advice regards to the clean install, windows updates, the system crashed after the first wave of windows updates, caused by the nvidia card, as once I disabled it. The system worked as normal and windows updates continued through. Although it still didn't install things such as my Hotkey driver etc. Those I downloaded off PCSpec Tech Downloads section, then they updated through Win Update. Now the system refused to launch NVidia Control Panel - the GeForce experience keeps telling me to update to the latest version even though it shows the current being the latest at the same time.
Ah, ok. In that case it's most likely a hardware issue with the Nvidia GPU.