Voyager 8

Empirical

Thanks, but It says that there is no difference at all (except that Bing is set as default search engine, at its free to manufacturers).

steaky360

You're right enough, I was being lazy and didn't fully read the article! So it's just a free version of 8.1 with bing as default search engine. I'm guessing it does fit on the storage drive though or it wouldn't be offered?

Empirical

I would guess so too, the problem is how much space is left over especially as Windows tends to grow with updates etc. He doesn't need much but if further applications cannot be installed then its no good. Perhaps I should email PCS, test out their customer service before buying from them. :D

mdwh

Enthusiast
Windows 8 has got better at the "grow with updates" thing (IIRC, backups of the previous DLLs etc are only kept for 30 days now).

I think it would be worth asking PCS how much space is leftover on a fresh install - I imagine it isn't much, but presumably Windows must fit on there somehow!

A recent article http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/11/budget-windows-8-tablets-work-well-in-rt-mode/ claims that such devices work well as tablets in "RT mode" (i.e., using Modern UI with Windows Store apps).

The tablet has a microSD slot for storing extra files, though Windows Store apps must be installed on internal storage.

Empirical

Thank you, thats really helpful as I need to run win32 applications in what they call 'desktop mode' so that is no good at all. Will have to move up to the 10.1 instead. Ta!

mdwh

Enthusiast
Yes, the 10.1" version also has the option for 64GB which is plenty.

Even if you go for the 32GB option - I have an Asus T100 with 32GB + 64GB microSD, and manage okay with it. Even with Office 2013 and several GBs of Visual Studio 2012 installed on the main drive, I tend to run between 5-7GBs free on the main drive (and the number seems to fluctuate up and down, rather than continually going down). A bit of care is needed (e.g., installing applications on the microSD if possible, and CCleaner is useful for cleaning up space), but it's manageable. If you can afford the 64GB version, then that takes care of the worries altogether.